Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Minsterbelles progress in Women's FA Cup

By Olly Wood | 4th October 2021

The Ministerbelles came back from two down to advance in the Vitality Women's FA Cup.

In the torrential rain City produced an impressive second half display to progress into the third qualifying round of the Cup.

York started brightly putting pressure on Brighouse who struggled to deal with the high tempo.

However, nine minutes in the visitors managed to take the lead, a ricochet fell kindly for the striker who placed an effort into the corner.

City didn’t let their heads drop and got back on the front foot. Sophie Tinson was played in behind by Emily Cattle, the striker cut in from the right but her deflected effort was taken by the keeper.

Milly Ash came close just before the quarter of an hour mark, her effort at the back post from a Tinson cross went wide of the upright.

With less than 25 minutes played Brighouse doubled their lead, an error at the back was pounced on and finished well putting the visitors two up.

Less than five minutes later York had one back, Ash the scorer, calmly slotting away after Tinson picked her out from a cross.

In the 37th minute City deservedly drew level; Karli Smith fired a powerful strike past the keeper from just inside the box.

After going into the break in the ascendency the Minsterbelles came out firing on all cylinders in the second half.

Just five minutes played in the second half Rebecca Fevers hit a looping effort which came back off the bar and Tinson was there following up for a tap in to complete the turnaround.

56 minutes in York forced penalty as a Brighouse defender handled in the area, up stepped Tinson to score her second penalty in as many games and put City 4-2 up.

Tinson completed her hat trick shortly after the hour mark. A Fevers corner was met by a Jo Symington which deflected off Tinson and beat the keeper. That would be Tinson’s last action of the game as she was replaced by Shanon Durkin.

The substitute was quickly involved finding space on the edge of the box, the striker picked her spot and found the back of the net with a curled effort in the 70th minute.

Less than 15 minutes to go Fevers produced the goal of the game, a brilliant strike arrowed into the corner from the edge of the box.

Not happy with seven, City kept pushing Durkin came close with a lobbed effort which was shortly followed by the skipper Nikki Brown whose thunderous strike was well saved.

As the clock ticked into the final ten minutes Emma Hallowell replaced goal scorer of the first Milly Ash.

For the entirety of the second half City were getting in behind the Brighouse defence, Durkin managed to break through and see her shot saved and Fevers’ rebound was denied by the keeper again.

Moments later, Symington who’d pushed up from full back again managed to work room for a shot which struck the bar and was cleared.

Less than five minutes before the end City netted their eighth, Durkin beat the offside trap and squared the ball for Holly Findlay who slotted home.

There was time for one more goal, Hallowell got in on the left and slid an effort into the far corner to cap off a dominant second half display.

The win extends the unbeaten run to four in all competitions for the Minsterbelles who return to league action next Sunday with a trip to South Shields, kick off at 2pm.


To learn more about the York City Ladies team click here.

To view all Ladies' fixtures and results please click here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!