Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Minsterbelles continue unbeaten start

20th September 2021

York City Ladies 1-1 Ossett United Women


York City Ladies were denied victory by 90th minute equaliser against Ossett United on Sunday.

Captain Nikki Brown’s goal midway through the second half looked to have been enough for the Minsterbelles to make it back-to-back wins but for an equaliser at the death.

An impressive 4-2 win away at Hartlepool two weeks ago to start the season strongly, the draw means City remain unbeaten in the North East Regional Womens Premier League.

The game started very evenly; the opening quarter of an hour went by with no real action at either end in terms of clear-cut chances with both sides cancelling each other out.

Alice Hughes had York’s first effort of the afternoon, a header from six yards out was well saved from point blank range by the goalkeeper 18 minutes in.

In the 21st and 23rd minutes respectively Rebecca Fevers tried her luck with two free kicks, the first drawing another good save from the keeper. The second just went over the bar but York were begging to put the pressure on.

Just before the half hour mark Sophie Tinson was denied by the keeper again, her powerful strike was well parried behind. City were enjoying the majority of the ball but hadn’t managed to beat the impressive Ossett stopper.

The Minsterbelles continued their control of the game into the second 45, Rebecca Fevers picked out Abby Parkin with an incisive pass, but the latter half volleyed over.

City were almost undone by a rare foray forward from the visitors, a deflected cross almost snuck in at the far post but fortunately the ball bounced wide.

In the 63rd minute City finally got their deserved lead; skipper Nikki Brown was on hand to poke past the keeper from close range as Ossett failed to clear a corner.

With just under ten minutes to play, Chloe Precious, who’d largely been a spectator in the York goal all afternoon was out quickly and smartly to make a double save, two saves which looked to have secured the points for the Minsterbelles.

The 90th minute brought about a sucker punch for City, Ossett managed to keep alive a free kick which dropped in the box, after a scramble the ball was turned goalwards and found the far corner to level the game.

A draw leaves the Minsterbelles unbeaten from the opening two league fixtures. City travel to Redcar Town next Sunday, kick off at 2pm.



For more information on the Ladies' team please click here.

For all fixtures and results please click here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!