Vanarama National League NorthVanarama National League NorthMotorama

City lose to Boro on penalties

By Ian Appleyard | 6th March 2018

York City 3 Middlesbrough U23s 3 (Middlesbrough win 3-0 on penalties)

York City lost a penalty shoot-out against Middlesbrough Under-23s tonight in the semifinal of the Emmerson Marketing North Riding Senior Cup.

Boro goalkeeper Brad James saved all three of City's penalty-kicks in the shoot-out from Raul Correia, Josh Law, and Aaron Haswell.

Stephen Walker, Mitchell Curry, and Layton Watts beat Luke Simpson in the City goal to book Boro's ticket to the final against Thornaby or Scarborough Athletic.

City had been only seconds away from victory when Walker equalised in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Referee Dane McCarrick awarded a penalty for handball against City captain Clovis Kamdjo and although Simpson initially blocked the kick with his legs, Walker buried the rebound.

However, Boro had been leading 2-1 with eight minutes to play before Harry Thompson levelled for City with a header and captain Matthew Elsdon headed past his own goalkeeper.

City, who beat Boro Rangers in the quarterfinals, fielded six senior players - Simpson, Connor Smith, Law, Theo Wharton, Kamdjo, and Correia - plus youngsters Josh Rogerson, Haswell, Flynn McNaughton, and Vinnie Steels.

Boro, whose side featured only players under the age of 23, could have gone ahead after three minutes but Curry shot wide when clear of the City defence.

Wharton linked-up nicely with winger Steels to create City's first real opportunity but on-loan striker Correia was unable to keep his header down .

Steels shot into the side netting as City made positive strides and both Haswell and Smith shot wide from distance.

Goalkeeper Simpson showed good reactions to save one-handed from Curry after he shot on the turn from close-range after 15 minutes.

Correia's tenacity enabled him to steal the ball from Elsdon on the edge of the Boro penalty area after 26 minutes but the striker's shot hit the chest of goalkeeper James who dashed off his line to save.

Smith shot narrowly wide after playing a one-two with Haswell before McNaughton's shot forced goalkeeper James to concede a corner.

Despite enjoying the majority of the possession, City fell behind just before the interval when winger Mikael Soisalo beat Simpson with a low drive from the left hand side of the penalty box.

However, Kamdjo was unlucky not to equalise almost immediately for City when his flying header from a freekick was saved at point blank range.

City made a bright start to the second period and both Correia and Steels were denied by goalkeeper James .

Haswell then curled the ball inches wide of Boro's far post after neatly bringing down a 40-yard pass from Wharton.

City equalised in the 66th minute when captain Kamdjo rose unchallenged to head home a corner from Haswell.

Boro came under intense pressure after the goal and Smith's cracking drive was beaten away by James. McNaughton's follow up shot was also saved before Correia's effort was blocked on the line by defender Nathan Dale.

Law then struck the outside of the post with a deflected freekick.

City's momentum might have been undone with 13 minutes to go when a mistake at the back allowed substitute Stephen Wearne to score from 10 yards.

However, they drew level for the second time in the game just five minutes later when midfielder Thompson rose to meet a Smith freekick with a header that sailed into the top corner of the net.

City looked to have won the game when Boro captain Nathan Dale headed Smith's centre into his own net with four minutes to play.

But Kamdjo was adjudged to have handled as City defended a stoppage time corner and Walker's equaliser took the game to a penalty shoot-out which was won comfortably by the visitors.

York City: Simpson, Smith, Law, Wharton, Rogerson, Kamdjo (C), Haswell, Thompson, Correia, McNaughton, Steels. Unused substitutes: Berry, Wilton, Lawrence, Kemp, Watson.

Middlesbrough: James, Dodds, Robinson, Hegarty (Storey HT), Dale, Elsdon (C), Soisalo (Wearne 75), Watts, Walker, Curry, Wilson (Brahimi HT). Unused substitutes: Hood, Brynn.

Referee: Dane McCarrick

Attendance: 151


City: Kamdjo (66), Thompson (82), Elsdon OG (86)

Boro: Soisalo (45+1), Wearne (77), Walker (90+4)

Penalty shoot-out goals:

Boro: Walker, Curry, Watts.



Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter for the chance to win match tickets!