Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City fight back for draw against Hartlepool

19th February 2020

Goals from Ethan Henderson and Charlie Jebson-King got York a well earnt point against Hartlepool this afternoon.

The away side were 2-1 up at half time but a spirited second half performance from City meant the points were shared.

York started the better of the two sides and went ahead early on. A ball over the top seemed to cause confusion at the back for Hartlepool, and Henderson was alert, looping a header over the keeper and into the net.

Hartlepool equalised ten minutes later. A ball in from the left came to the away sides striker, who managed to bring it down, turn and finish into the bottom corner.

Kiari Ventura almost put York back ahead, but he couldn’t direct his effort from close range on target.

Just before half time, Hartlepool took the lead and York had it all to do in the second half.

York nearly levelled immediately after the break, when Henderson chased down a back pass and got to the ball just before the keeper, but he toe poked it wide.

Hartlepool should have got a third when a corner went all the way through to the back post, but a blue shirt managed to put it wide from three yards.

City levelled the game with 15 minutes to go. Jebson-King managed to get a shot away despite slipping over, and with the aid of a deflection, the ball went past the keeper.

Goalkeeper Lucas Martin made a smart save with his feet to keep the scores level and although both sides pushed for a winner, the game finished 2-2.

Manager Tim Ryan said after the game: “I think it was a point gained today. We got beat 2-0 at Hartlepool last week against what I thought was the best team we’ve played. We changed a few things around today to try and combat what they had and expose their weaknesses, and I think it worked really well. We did miss a couple of chances to win the game.

“Every single lad has emptied their tank today and they must be absolutely drained, so it’s nice when they come out with something gained especially against a team that beat us last week. We got something out of today’s game which we can take into future weeks.

“I thought Ethan (Henderson) and Archie (Whitfield) were excellent. People watching that came will have been really impressed by them. Ethan’s header was a really good, brave header that he committed to.

“A minute into the second half Ethan misses a one on one which was another brilliant area for him to get into, creating another chance by chasing down defenders. At half time I said to the lads that we were well in the game and the shape is working really well and we’ve created chances. It was a matter of keeping going and to keep believing.

“Oliver Jordan has been chomping at the bit. His game time has been slightly hindered because of how well Archie has been playing. I had a chat with him and said I need to see a little bit more from him and the last couple of weeks in training he’s shown real desire so I’ve thrown him in and he did really well.

“After injuries we’ve got a squad of about 18 players. I always say to the lads that it’s up for grabs who plays and whoever is performing well in training will get a chance.

“It’s been the first season that this league has been in place and it’s been really good. We’ve had competitive games week in week out. The top half teams can beat anybody and lose to anybody as well. We didn’t really set ourselves any targets at the start of the year but we just want to finish as high as possible and accumulate as many points as we can.”



Report by Jack Witham.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!