Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Ten man City suffer late agony

28th October 2017
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Tamworth Logo
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 28th Oct - 15:00

A LATE goal by Darryl Knights denied ten man York City a point against Tamworth at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen produced a battling performance after going 2-0 down at the start of the second half and drew level thanks to goals from Jon Parkin and new signing Daniel Rowe.

But the dismissal of winger David Ferguson for a professional foul after 63 minutes proved to be a major setback for Martin Gray's side who lost in stoppage time when a shot from Knights bounced in off the post.

The result leaves City sitting ninth in the Vanarama National League North table - still only one point outside the play-off zone. However, they are now 15 points adrift of the one automatic promotion spot.

Winger Aidan Connolly and midfielder Adriano Moke both returned to the starting line-up as manager Martin Gray made two changes to his side following defeat at Salford City.

Defender Hamza Bencherif was sidelined with injury so captain Sean Newton switched to centre of defence and was replaced in midfield by Moke.

Connolly, meanwhile, replaced Amari Morgan-Smith who started on the bench alongside new signing Rowe.

Both Bailey Peacock-Farrell and James Gray made home debuts after arriving on loan during the previous fortnight.

Tamworth, who had lost their last five games in all competitions, took the lead after 36 minutes when Reece Styche beat the City offside trap and shot low past Peacock-Farrell.

There had been few other goalscoring opportunities in the first half although Ellis Deeney grazed the City crossbar from distance and Alex Whittle shot across the face of the Tamworth goal just before halftime.

Tamworth doubled their lead on 48 minutes when Newton misjudged the bounce of a ball allowing Styche to go clear and slide the ball the home.

Gray reacted by making a double substitution and pushing Newton into midfield. Just three minutes later, Parkin had scored from close-range to bring City back into the game.

City were reduced to ten men, however, when Ferguson pushed Knights on the edge of the area as he advanced on goalkeeper Peacock-Farrell.

Referee Aaron Jackson produced a red card for a professional foul and City switched to a 4-3-2 formation with Newton at leftback.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, City drew level when substitute Rowe turned in a bouncing ball after Parslow knocked down a cross from Josh Law.

But City were dealt another blow when substitute Almond suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder in a challenge with a Tamworth defender.

City still looked the more likely winners in the final stages of the game and referee Jackson waved away a penalty appeal when Parkin's shot appeared to strike the arm of Tamworth midfielder Ben Fox.

However, Knights stunned the City supporters when hitting Tamworth's winning goal in the first minute of stoppage time.

Callum Powell broke clear from midfield, squared the ball to Knights on the edge of the City area, and his low shot struck the inside of the post before rolling over the line.

York City: Peacock-Farrell; Law, Parslow, Newton, Whittle (Rowe 53); Connolly, Moke, Heslop, Ferguson; Parkin, Gray (Almond 53, Morgan-Smith 73). Unused substitutes: Simpson, Wharton.

Tamworth: Rowley; Burns, Upton, Jones, Coulson, Morley; Fox, Deeney, Taylor (Powell 83), Styche (Reid 61), Knights. Unused substitutes: Curley, Strong, Shaw.

Referee: Aaron Jackson.

Attendance: 2605

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!