Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Season opens in defeat at Chorley

4th August 2018
Match Result
Chorley Logo
York City Logo
York City
Victory Park
Saturday 4th Aug - 15:00

A GOAL from Adam Blakeman condemned York City to a narrow 1-0 defeat in the opening game of the new season at Chorley.

Striker Jake Wright hit the post and captain Sean Newton had a freekick tipped onto the crossbar. Overall, City were unlucky to come away with nothing to show for their performance.

Referee Matt Corlett also rejected two first half penalty appeals after wingers Wes York and Alex Kempster were both tripped in the box.

Summer signings Kallum Griffiths, Joe Tait, York, Burrow, and Wright made full debuts for City and Russ Penn was back in midfield following his return to the club from Gateshead.

City made a bright start and were unlucky not to take the lead after six minutes when Wright struck the post after running onto a pass from York.

Referee Corlett the waved away a strong City appeal for a penalty moments later as York was sent tumbling in the area.

Corlett rejected the second penalty appeal in the 19th minute - when Kempster was tripped by Matt Challoner - having blown his whistle just a moment earlier for a foul outside the area on Wright.

Although Chorley were also creating opportunities, they struggled to get beyond City's back line to test goalkeeper Adam Bartlett.

Defenders Bencherif, Griffiths, and Newton all made excellent sliding tackles in the first half when danger arose.

A Burrow shot from the edge of the area was pushed around the post by Chorley goalkeeper Cameron Belford as City maintained the attacking threat.

But it was the home side who broke the deadlock in the 38th minute when defender Blakeman collected the ball from a throw on the edge of a crowded area and shot low past Bartlett.

It was a blow for City who had created better opportunities and enjoyed lengthy periods on the ball without taking full advantage.

Striker Wright needed treatment for a head injury just before the interval after an ugly-looking tangle with Chorley midfielder Josh O'Keefe who was booked by Corlett.

Belford produced a flying save to push a 25 yard drive from York around the post at the start of the second half.

The Chorley goalkeeper came to his side's rescue again on the hour mark when tipping Newton's freekick onto the crossbar.

Chorley enjoyed more possession in the final third after the break and a goalline header from Burrow prevented Josh Wilson adding a second goal at a corner.

Bartlett dived low to his right to scramble away a shot from Alex Newby and former City striker Louis Almond hit the side-netting late on after coming off the Chorley bench.

Substitute Jon Parkin nearly set up a late equaliser for Macaulay Langstaff but the young striker was unable to reach his team-mate's lob over the Chorley backline.

York City: Bartlett; Griffiths, Bencherif, Tait, Newton (C); York (Langstaff 64), Heslop, Penn (Moke 60), Kempster; Burrow (Parkin.69), Wright. Unused subs: Ferguson, Whitley. 

Chorley: Belford; Challoner, Blakeman, Teague (C), Leather, Meppen-Walter, Newby, O'Keefe, Carver (Short 90+5), Wilson (Almond 75), E. Newby (Whitham 84). Unused substitutes: Anson, Fletcher.

Referee: Matt Corlett

Attendance: 1520


Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!