Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Parkin back on the City goal trail

18th August 2018
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Curzon Ashton Logo
Curzon Ashton
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 18th Aug - 15:00

Jon Parkin celebrated his first start of the season by scoring City's equaliser in a 1-1 draw against Curzon Ashton.

The veteran striker had been on the bench for City's first four league games but was restored to the starting XI today by manager Martin Gray.

Parkin struck in the 76th minute with a low drive from 18 yards and earned City a share of the spoils after Joe Guest had scored for Curzon Ashton in the 58th minute.

City had been looking to maintain their climb up the Vanarama National League North table and were unlucky not to to go ahead after just 10 minutes.

Referee Paul Brown had booked Curzon defender Daniel Shaw for a trip on Macaulay Langstaff and the subsequent freekick from Kallum Griffiths was headed home by Hamza Bencherif. Brown, however, disallowed the 'goal' for an infringement by the City centreback.

Langstaff, Parkin, and Wes York all dragged shots wide from distance as City looked for a breakthrough before the interval.

A goalbound volley by Parkin was also blocked by Ryan Brooke following a long Tom Allan throw.

Curzon finished the first half in the ascendancy and Brooke was only inches away from converting a ball across the City goalmouth by James Baillie.

Bencherif was booked in stoppage time for a foul 25 yards from goal but the subsequent freekick by Paul Marshall struck Wes York and danger was averted.

With Simon Heslop back after recovering from a rib injury, Gray moved Adriano Moke onto the flank and dropped Jake Wright to the bench. Parkin was preferred to Jordan Burrow.

Goalkeeper Adam Bartlett made a flying save to deny Oliver Crankshaw in the 57th minute but, just two minutes later, was beaten by Guest from close-range after failing to hold a shot from Brooke.

Parkin always looked the biggest danger for City but the unmarked striker missed an opportunity to equalise in the 62nd minute when glancing a header wide from Griffiths' cross.

He was out of luck again soon after when his close-range shot struck the legs of goalkeeper Cameron Mason.

Bartlett made two fine saves in quick succession to keep City in the game before Parkin levelled the scores with 14 minutes to play.

Heslop then shot wide from a good position on the edge of the penalty box and substitute Wright spurned an even better opportunity by heading wide after Allan won the ball in the air at a freekick.

Curzon Ashton were reduced to ten men in the final minute of the game when fullback Cameron McJannet fouled Wright and was sent off for a second bookable offence. Parkin flashed a shot wide from the resulting freekick.

York City: Bartlett; Griffiths, Allan, Bencherif, Tait, Penn (Law 80), Moke, Heslop, Parkin, Langstaff (Burrow 70), York (Wright 65). Unused substitutes: Ferguson, Whitley.

Curzon Ashton; Mason; Baillie (Crankshaw 38), McJannet, Hunt (C), Shaw, Morton, Guest, Marshall (Samizadeh 78), Brooke, Rowney (Ali 82), Hughes. Unused substitutes: Fawns, Cummins.

Referee: Paul Brown 

Booked: Bencherif, Penn, Heslop (City), Shaw, Rowney, McJannet (Curzon Ashton). 

Sent-off: McJannet (Curzon Ashton)

Attendance: 2192 (inc 54 away supporters)

Photo (top): Striker Jon Parkin lines-up his equalising goal against Curzon Ashton. Photo by Ian Parker


Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!