Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Morpeth force FA Cup replay

By Bradley Saxton | 16th October 2021
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Morpeth Town Logo
Morpeth Town
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 16th Oct - 15:00

The Minstermen require a replay if they are to progress to the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup after they were held to a 1-1 draw against Morpeth Town at the LNER Community Stadium.

York took the lead mid-way through the first half courtesy of Mark Beck’s third goal of the season, before the visitors found an equaliser with fifteen minutes left in the game through Ben Sayer in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the competition.

Steve Watson made three changes ahead of kick off from last weekend’s 3-1 win over Southport, as Sam Fielding, Mark Beck and Jason Gilchrist all returned to the starting eleven in place of Matty Brown, Kurt Willoughby and Clayton Donaldson.

The visitors came into this fixture off the back of Tuesday night’s 2-0 defeat at the hands of South Shields in the Northern Premier League, as they were looking to build on an impressive FA Cup campaign which had so far seen wins over Hyde United, Lancaster City and Radcliffe.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side who went close after 12 minutes. Olly Dyson whipped in a delightful corner from the left to the front post, the ball was flicked on by Beck towards Gilchrist, but the forward was unable to keep his header below Dan Lowson’s crossbar.

Morpeth went close themselves after 21 minutes when a perfectly timed long ball over the top from Liam Noble caught City out on the counter, Jack Foalle collected the ball on the edge of the area before pulling back to Sayer, who could only fire a low effort wide of Peter Jameson’s right-hand post.

The Minstermen had to remain patient and broke the deadlock after 26 minutes through Beck. Mackenzie Heaney’s in-swinging free kick from the right-hand side was headed back towards goal by Akil Wright at the far post, who put it on a plate for Beck as he headed home from close-range to give his side the lead.

Beck went close to doubling York’s lead five minutes later when he met the ball at the far post from a Paddy Mclaughlin delivery into the penalty area, but he couldn’t quite reach full contact with the ball as he stretched out to meet the cross.

The 2015/16 FA Vase Winners went agonisingly close to getting back into the game on 37 minutes, but Jameson got down low to tip away a fierce volley from Andrew Johnson to safety after the North-East side found a way into the penalty area with a long ball forward. 

The Northern Premier League side came out the blocks the quickest in the second half as they again went close to equalising the game. Foalle made a brilliant 70 yard break down the right-hand side before squaring the ball centrally, Sayer picked the ball up on the edge of the area before striking an effort on goal, but his effort was heroically kept out on the line by Wright.

Watson’s side then went close immediately down the other end on the counter-attack, but Dyson was unable to divert the ball towards goal after good work down the left-hand side by Heaney.

York had another chance to double their lead in the 69th minute through Heaney, who twisted and turned three defenders to break into the penalty area, but he lacked power as he tried to curl the ball beyond Lowson into the bottom-right corner.

After wasting chances to double their lead, the Minstermen allowed Morpeth back into the game after 75 minutes as they levelled the score in North Yorkshire. A long throw into the penalty area was headed across to Sayer, who fired beyond Jameson with a looping header into the back of the net.

Jameson had to react quick again two minutes later as Morpeth applied the pressure on the York defence, as he tipped away a low curling effort from the edge of the area from Noble.

The home side thought they had won the game with four minutes of play, but second half substitute Donaldson was ruled offside when he got onto the end of a Heaney delivery from the left flank.

Morpeth did the exact same thing into second half injury time as Jameson reacted quick to tip a curling Ryan Donaldson effort onto the crossbar and out for a corner.

City couldn’t find a winner which saw them end the game as a draw. Both sides will take each other on in a replay on Tuesday evening at Craik Park (7:45pm kick-off).

Both teams will go into the hat for the First Round Proper draw tomorrow afternoon at 1:05pm on ITV 1.


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth, Wright, Fielding, McLaughlin (C), Dyson (Lancaster 80’), Woods, Hopper, Heaney, Beck (Donaldson 70’), Gilchrist (Willoughby 62’)

Unused Subs: Campbell, Cunningham, Degruchy, Haase

Goals: Beck 26’


Morpeth Town: Lowson (GK), Walton, Turner, Sayer (Oliver 77’), Henderson (C), Morris, Foalle (Ramsey 90’), Noble, Johnson, Donaldson, Taylor

Unused Subs: Hodgson, Maddison, Phillips, Reid, Indalecio

Goals: Sayer 75’


Attendance: 2,258 (237 away supporters)

Referee: Ed Duckworth

Waitrose & Partners MOTM: Harrison Hopper

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!