Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Jordan Burrow gives City win over Kettering

25th January 2020
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Kettering Logo
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 25th Jan - 15:00

Jordan Burrow’s 13th goal of the season was the difference as City beat Kettering Town 1-0 at Bootham Crescent this afternoon. 

York were looking to bounce back after defeat to top of the table Kings Lynn and make it three home wins in a row. Kettering were down in 17th in the league, however they came into this game looking to add to the seven points they’d picked up from their last three matches. Back in December, the two sides played out a goalless draw.  

Steve Watson put Friday signing Kurt Willoughby straight into the starting line-up. Dan Maguire also came into the side. Adriano Moke and Alex Kempster were on the bench.  

Kick-off for the game was put back 15 minutes, due to travel issues with the opposition. 

The game struggled to get going for the opening 15 minutes. A cross from the right by Kallum Griffiths straight into the keepers hands was the only real attack either side had. Aaron O’Connor eventually had the first strike on goal for the visitors which was deflected behind for a corner.  

Daniel Nti cut onto his right foot on the edge of the box and put one into the stands as he tried to find the top corner. 

Kettering thought they had the lead when Ben Milnes’ ball into the box went through the hands of Peter Jameson and into the bottom corner, but the referee blew for a foul. 

Both sides were still finding it hard to create chances. A nod down from Burrow found Griffiths on the edge. He slipped just as he was about to pull the trigger. 

Gary Stohrer hit one first time as the ball came across to him, and again the ball ended up in the David Longhurst stand.  

David Ferguson managed to deliver two dangerous crosses from the left, both times the away side managed to do enough to prevent York scoring.  

In the last minute of the half, York had the ball in the back of the net, but the linesman had his flag up. Willoughby saw his header saved and Maguire fired in the rebound, only to be denied by the flag. The sides went in goal less at the break.  

Kettering hit the crossbar in the early stages of the second half, when a free kick deflected off the wall, looping onto the bar and going behind for a corner.  

City looked to the bench to try and get an opening goal. Both Kempster and Macaulay Langstaff were brought on in place of Maguire and captain Steve McNulty.  

Just past the hour mark and York took the lead. Ferguson drilled one into the near post on the left hand side, and Burrow was there, sliding it past the keeper first time to put York 1-0 up.  

Matt Taylor managed to get into some space inside the area on the left hand side. He wasted a good crossing opportunity, hitting it out of play for a throw in.  

Langstaff almost doubled York’s lead when he ran through on goal, but keeper Paul White did well to close the angle down and save the shot.  

A free kick on the edge of the box for Kettering was hit by Taylor, straight at Jameson who caught it with ease.  

With ten minutes remaining, Kettering almost equalised. A shot from the right hand side of the box was saved by Jameson. The ball ended up on the goal line and Jameson managed to get back and somehow grab the ball.  

Kettering were pushing for their equaliser. O’Connor was played in one on one against Jameson and should have levelled the game, but Jameson again did brilliantly, rushing out of his goal and saving well from the midfielder.  

There was five minutes added on at the end of the match as Kettering pushed for a goal, however York held on to take the three points.  

York City: Jameson, Griffiths, Ferguson, Newton, McNulty © (Langstaff, (Moke), Tait, Green, McLaughlin, Burrow, Willoughby, Maguire (Kempster) 

Unused substitutes: Bond, Durrell 

Kettering Town: White, Stohrer, Taylor, Graham ©, McGrath, Solkhon, Nti, O’Connor, Williams (Law), Milnes, Kelly (Meikle) 

Unused substitutes: Carta, Bennett 

Attendance: 2767 (204 away) 

Referee: Kristian Silcock 




Report by Jack Witham.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!