Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City win first game of the season

By Dan Simmonite | 2nd October 2020
Match Result
Warrington Rylands Logo
Warrington Rylands
York City Logo
York City
Gorsey Lane
Saturday 3rd Oct - 15:00

New Club Captain Sean Newton led York City to a 1-0 victory this afternoon against Warrington Rylands in the Emirates FA Cup.

A wet and rainy Gorsey Lane hosted the contest in which Rylands stood up to their biggest test in the competition so far after beating Whitby Town in the previous round.

City had the first decent chance of the game, a cross to the back post from the right finding Michael Woods whose shot was blocked as far as Scott Barrow who won a corner with his deflected effort.

Rylands then had a great chance as they broke down the right wing and pulled back to the edge where Kane Drummond was waiting, but the striker fired over at the first attempt.

Woods then hit a first time effort just wide from outside the box before Drummond nearly provided the first goal at the other end as his squared ball across goal was deflected inches wide by a City defender.

On 29 minutes Newton went for goal with a free-kick, but his top corner effort was palmed away by Graeme McCall and the rebound put agonisingly wide by Olly Dyson.

Newton had a second chance with another free-kick ten minutes later, this time arrowing the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to give City the lead.

Akil Wright nearly added to the scoreline just before half time, the powerful midfielder driving into the box after being threaded through and smashing his shot against the upright.

Early after the break, Rylands had an opportunity to level the scores with a penalty, however, Andy Scarisbrick couldn't convert despite sending Pete Jameson the wrong way, hitting the post with his spot kick.

Paul Shanley then forced a save out of the City 'keeper with a shot from the edge of the box.

Matty Brown came on for his competitive debut on 58 minutes and had a great chance to put the game to bed after the ball rolled out to the centre half following a goalmouth scramble, but the substitute blazed over the crossbar from a crowded area.

Drummond made himself a nuisance in the later stages, notably hitting inches over the bar on 70 minutes and nearly going through one-on-one before Jameson stepped in to gather the loose ball.

Rylands gave it their all in injury time to find an equaliser, but their late efforts were to no avail as the City defence blocked their onslaught and the whistle blew for full time.

City now progress to the third round qualifying draw which is expected early next week.

York City: Jameson, Kennedy, Tinkler (Brown 58'), Newton, Duckworth, Barrow, Wright, Woods, McLaughlin, Dyson (Potts 63'), Cassidy.

Unused subs: Flatters, Spratt, Wollerton, Guilfoyle.

Warrington Rylands: McCall, Simpson (Denman 87'), Wolhunter (Freeman 68'), Kenny, Gerrard, Sheen (Potter 69'), Doyle, Scarisbrick, Milne, Shanley, Drummond.

Unused subs: Jones, Lees, Morris, McNamara.

Referee: Richard Holmes

Attendance: 300

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!