Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City win big against Alfreton

By Dan Simmonite | 7th March 2020
Match Result
Alfreton Town Logo
Alfreton Town
York City Logo
York City
North Street
Saturday 7th Mar - 15:00

City breezed past Alfreton Town this afternoon with a 3-1 win away from home thanks to a goal from Alex Kempster and a double from Sean Newton.

Steve Watson made two changes to his side from Tuesday night, bringing in recent loan signing Adam Buxton into the midfield three and Steve McNulty slotting back into his usual centre half role.

City were looking for a reaction after the heavy defeat mid-week and certainly got that in the early stages with a dominant display, Kieran Green’s shot trickled just wide from outside the post just two minutes in.

Sean Newton then hit a pinpoint free kick into the bottom corner from the edge of the box, running straight over to the bench to celebrate as a team after going 1-0 up.

Just minutes later Alex Kempster made it two with his second goal of the week, Jordan Burrow heading on to the pacey frontman who ran at goal, then composed himself and slotted into the bottom corner giving City a two-goal cushion.

David Ferguson got a lot of the ball on the left and forced Alfreton to defend for their lives with an onslaught of crosses into the box.

Kempster then forced Jordan Wright to tip for a corner with a curled shot from outside the box.

Adam Buxton was spraying balls left, right and centre in the heart of midfield and found Ferguson on 36 minutes on the left byline who then crossed first time, but the goalkeeper came across to gather.

Maguire nearly added to City’s lead on 45 minutes, turning a defender to get inside the box and firing inches wide of the back post with a shot across goal.

Alfreton got more into the game in the second half, but some great defensive play by City halted any progress for the home side, Steve McNulty the general in the middle and putting in some vital tackles.

Pete Jameson was called into action for the first time on 56 minutes when Amari Morgan-Smith went through on the right and pulled back for Dale Whitham on the edge who stuck towards the bottom corner but was denied by City’s number one.

City moved the ball well just past the hour mark and Ferguson was ever-present as he was in the first half, but Jordan Wright commanded his area well.

Sean Newton was close to doubling his tally on 69 minutes, curling a free kick from long range on target and forcing the goalkeeper to push for a corner. The consistent left foot of Newton also came in handy on the right wing when he whipped one in and a rebound brought a red shirt into action to clear from the line.

Jameson then pulled off another excellent save from a point-blank header following a Morgan-Smith cross to the front post.

Newton finally got his just rewards as another free kick was hit from long range, deflected off the top of the wall, and looped over the goalkeeper into the back of the net. A deserved goal for City who had plugged away for a third for some time.

Alfreton then had a half chance with a volley skewed wide and then scored a contentious goal through Danny Clarke, the offside flag staying down as the ball came over the top and the simple finish a mere consolation but robbing the City defence of a clean sheet.

The game ended after three minutes of injury time and City picked up a vital three points backed by the fans who were in full voice all afternoon.

York City: Jameson, Tait, McNulty ©, Newton, Griffiths, Ferguson, Buxton, Green, Kempster (Jones 81‘), Maguire (Moke 64‘), Burrow

Unused substitutes: Bond, McLaughlin, Langstaff

Alfreton Town: Wright, East (Freiter 77’), Wilde ©, Clarke, Qualter, Smith, Stewart, Tomlinson (Kellett 67’), Whitham, Morgan-Smith, Johnson

Unused substitutes: Killock, Lynch, Branson

Attendance: 800 (348 away support)

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!