Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City through to next round after win over Buxton

By Dan Simmonite | 5th October 2019
Match Result
Buxton Logo
York City Logo
York City
The Silverlands
Saturday 5th Oct - 15:00

The Minstermen came from behind to win 2-1 in the Emirates FA Cup third round qualifying against Buxton at The Silverlands Stadium.

Manager Steve Watson opted for a strong side to face the Derbyshire side, also giving first starts to recent signings Elliott Durrell and Kyle McFarlane with Tom Allan coming in the team for the second successive FA Cup game.

City started positive in the early stages, Ferguson having a lot of the ball down the left wing and Dyer and McFarlane having early shots from outside the box.

But Buxton were to the team to grab the first goal in the encounter, a well-worked cross into the box headed down straight to former City forward Diego De Girolamo to tap into the back of the net from close range.

Dyer went close after the goal, latching onto a back post cross by McFarlane, but unable to get his effort on target from a tight angle as he stretched for the ball.

A barrage of City crosses into the box ensued but no white shirt was there to challenge in the final third. Buxton then capitalised, Ryan Whitley being called into action a number of times; firstly, a long-range strike by Warren Clarke, and minutes later a point blank save from Liam Hardy which looked almost certain to be a second goal.

City then had a few attempts later in the half, Adriano Moke shooting from distance and Elliott Durrell curling a free kick goal bound, but both shots held by Grant Shenton between the sticks.

Watson tried to inject some firepower up top in the second half, bringing on Alex Kempster for McFarlane which seemed to work as City got an equaliser on 49 minutes. A cross into the box was contested between Dyer and Buxton's Steve Caulcott and the ball eventually rebounded into the back of the net – going down as an own goal.

York looked strong after the goal and nearly grabbed the lead on 62 minutes, Jordan Burrow heading narrowly wide after a cross by Dyer to the front post.

The defence were called into action minutes later, putting their bodies on the line in a goalmouth scramble which saw the ball finally cleared from a packed penalty area.

Nathan Dyer was the man to grab that all-important goal with 11 minutes to spare, initially heading onto the crossbar, then firing into the roof of the net as Kempster put the ball back across goal.

City had a slight scare in injury time, Buxton smacking the post from a free kick, but the team managed to see the game out, a win confirming their spot in Monday’s draw.

York City: Whitley, Dyer, Tait, Newton, Allan, Ferguson, Moke, McLaughlin, Durrell (Langstaff 74’), Burrow, McFarlane (Kempster 45’)

Unused Substitutes: Jameson, King, Bond, Green, York

Buxton: Shenton, Roscoe, Harrison, N. De Girolamo, O'Grady, Wilson (Oyibo 82’), Clarke (Pilkington 90’), Chalmers, D. De Girolamo (Jennings 68’), Hardy, Brown

Unused Substitutes: Young, Phillips, Kilner, Hopkins

Attendance: 901

Referee: Mr R. Holmes

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!