Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City settle for draw against Spennymoor

By Dan Simmonite | 12th December 2020
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Spennymoor Town Logo
Spennymoor Town
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 12th Dec - 15:00

City were denied a fourth straight win this afternoon after a late Glen Taylor goal cancelled out Michael Woods’ first half finish.

Limited supporters were in attendance for the ‘pilot’ fixture and roared on the Minstermen for the first time in nine months.

Steve Watson was forced into two changes with Scott Barrow out through an injury sustained against Kettering in mid-week and a Jake Cassidy suspension.

Jack Redshaw came in to start and Michael Woods replaced Scott Barrow as Sean Newton dropped into left back.

And it looked to be a positive change in personnel as City broke the deadlock after just four minutes, Newton driving one towards goal and Woods gambling on the goalkeepers fumble to slot home his third of the season.

City received a blow on 11 minutes after a clash of heads involving Harry Bunn forced the forward off the pitch moment later, to be replaced by Reon Potts.

Spennymoor looked good after City went ahead but couldn’t trouble Pete Jameson with shots from distance which were easily saved by the goalkeeper.

Top goalscorer Glen Taylor had a great opportunity to equalise on 29 minutes after a cross in from the left found the striker at the back post, however the 30-year-old couldn’t direct goalbound.

The Moors again went close in first half injury time with Blayne Hall receiving the ball on the left and firing just wide of the far post.

The attacking onslaught continued into the second half and Newton made a vital block on the penalty spot to again deny Taylor who was played the ball from the left byline.

However, Olly Dyson went close to extending the lead on 56 minutes after a Newton free kick rebounded into the forward’s path only for his shot in a crowded area to be cleared from the line.

Redshaw then shot wide from 25-yards before a low inviting cross by Dyson was gratefully cleared by the Spennymoor defence.

Former Darlington man Stephen Thompson was substituted on in the second half and was denied the all-important goal after Robbie Tinkler got in front of the striker to block after a ball to the back post was volleyed towards goal.

Akil Wright was then called into action to block another chance on goal, this time the visitors breaking in from the right wing.

Eventually, Spennymoor found their equaliser with a continuous corner given and Glen Taylor leaping above the York players to head in at the back post for his seventh goal of the season.

City were unlucky not to reinstate their lead just two minutes after the equaliser, with Woods latching onto a cross from the right only to be refused by the crossbar and a yellow shirt who headed the rebound over for a corner.

The game ended with City fortunate to come away with a point despite their promising start. The team now go into the FA Trophy four unbeaten and nine points behind the league leaders with games in hand.


York City: Jameson, Tinkler, Kennedy, Brown, Newton, McLaughlin (Spratt 79), Wright, Woods, Dyson, Bunn (Potts 15), Redshaw

Subs not used: Flatters, Gamble, Guilfoyle


Spennymoor Town: Eve, Forbes, Curtis, Tait, Magnay , Anderson , Spencer, McKenna (Thompson 62), Ramshaw, Hall (Mulhern 71), Taylor

Subs not used: Buddle, Moke, McLean


Attendance: 400

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Waitrose Man of the Match: Matty Brown

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!