Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City progress in FA Cup with Whitby win

By Bradley Saxton | 2nd October 2021
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Whitby Town Logo
Whitby Town
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 2nd Oct - 15:00

The Minstermen progressed into the Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round courtesy of a 2-0 win over Whitby Town. 

Two goals in the first half from Clayton Donaldson was enough to secure victory for York in the Third Qualifying Round in wet conditions at the LNER Community Stadium.

City went into this fixture off the back of Tuesday night’s late defeat at home to Hereford FC and Steve Watson was looking for a response from his side as they looked to reach the next round of the FA Cup.

Watson made three changes from Tuesday night’s defeat, with Paddy McLaughlin, Harrison Hopper and Jason Gilchrist all coming into the starting eleven to replace Kurt Willoughby, Josh King and Mark Beck.

The visitors Whitby Town had enjoyed a strong start to their season, sitting 3rd in the Northern Premier League table, seven points behind league leaders South Shields with a game in hand.

Managed by former City favourite Lee Bullock, the visitors named several former York players in their starting eleven, including Brad Fewster, Nathan Dyer, Lewis Hawkins, Jaseem Sukar, Daniel Rowe and Jonny Burn.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Gilchrist, who was at the back post to nod down a deflected Olly Dyson in-swinging cross, but the effort lacked the necessary power to test Shane Bland into a save. 

The home side went close once again to breaking the deadlock after eleven minutes when Michael Woods cleverly picked out Donaldson with a brilliantly threaded through ball, before the Jamaican cut inside onto his right foot and had a curling effort tipped away by Bland. 

The deadlock was broken though after 17 minutes, courtesy of Donaldson. Mackenzie Heaney tested Bland into a diving save from distance, before the forward tapped home the rebound from close-range, after the original rebound from Gilchrist was saved. 

Whitby had to wait until just before the half-hour mark to test City for the first time in the game. Jacob Hazel capitalising on a City mistake, before having a powerful effort kept out by Peter Jameson.

Donaldson doubled the Minstermen’s lead after 32 minutes when he finished once again from close-range. Woods made a charging run down the left wing before pulling back for Donaldson in a central position, who turned his man to finish low beyond Bland.

Whitby looked for a way back into the game and went close just before the half-time whistle. Blocked shots on goal from Fewster and Sukar led to a loose ball on the edge of the area, but Jameson stood strong to keep out a long-range effort from Liam Cooke out with his legs. 

Donaldson went in search of his hat-trick and so nearly had it after 53 minutes when he had an effort from a tight angle kept out by Bland, after being played in behind by Dyson. 

Jameson made another fine save with his legs from Whitby substitute Marcus Giles, after cutting inside from the right-hand side, before Woods tested Bland into a low save from distance for the home side two minutes later. 

Chances kept on coming for the home side, with Donaldson having another opportunity to make it three goals for himself for the afternoon with ten minutes to go. He made a brilliant run into the area where he was played in by Heaney, but he fired his effort low at the feet of Bland. 

The Minstermen saw out victory at a very wet LNER Community Stadium and booked book their place in the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, with the draw taking place on Monday afternoon.

Watson’s men will be back in action next Saturday as they look to return to winning ways in the National League North as they welcome Southport to the LNER Community Stadium. 


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth, Brown (C), Wright, McLaughlin, Dyson, Woods, Hopper, Heaney, Donaldson, Gilchrist (Beck 75’)

Unused Subs: Campbell, Owen, Lancaster, Willoughby, Jones, Haase

Goals: Donaldson (17’, 32’)


Whitby Town: Bland (GK), Dyer, Sukar, Hawkins (Ritson 87’), Rowe, Burn, MacDonald, Griffiths, Hazel, Fewster (Giles 57’), Cooke (Hacket 72’)

Unused Subs: Ritson, Gell, Shepherd, Cranston

Goals: N/A


Attendance: 2,238 (371 away supporters)

Referee: James Westgate

Waitrose & Partners Man of the Match: Clayton Donaldson

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!