Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City knocked out of FA Cup

29th September 2017
Match Result
South Shields Logo
South Shields
York City Logo
York City
Mariners Park
Saturday 30th Sep - 15:00

South Shields 3 York City 2

YORK City have been knocked out of the FA Cup after a dramatic third qualifying round defeat at South Shields.

The Minstermen had scored two goals in two minutes to draw level at 2-2 with 12 minutes of the game to go.

But South Shields striker Gavin Cogdon headed home in stoppage time to send the Evo-Stik North side into the next round.

City had been trailing 2-0 at the interval thanks to an early Carl Finnigan penalty and a goal in the 35th minute by Julio Arca.

City could have gone ahead in the opening moments but Amari Morgan-Smith was unable to beat South Shields goalkeeper Jack Norton in a one-on-one situation.

The hosts then took the lead in the eighth minute when City goalkeeper Jon Worsnop was caught with the ball at his feet and pulled down striker Jamie Holmes.

It was the second game in a row that Worsnop had conceded a penalty and also been subsequently booked. Shields' striker Finnigan duly scored from the spot.

City settled down after the shock of the goal but created few decent goalscoring opportunities.

Things got worse in the 35th minute when veteran midfielder Arca doubled the home side’s lead with a low drive after exchanging passes with Robert Briggs.

City manager Gary Mills reacted to his side’s first half display by making three changes at the interval.

Louis Almond, Kaine Felix, and Connor Smith were introduced to the action with Simon Heslop, Theo Wharton, and Jassem Sukar making way.

City had employed a 4-5-1 formation in the first half with Daniel Parslow switched to rightback in the absence of the injured Josh Law and Sukar partnering Hamza Bencherif in the middle of defence.

Striker Jon Parkin, who returned to the side after missing the defeat at Harrogate Town, ploughed a lone furrow in attack.

For long periods of the second half, there was little sign of a City revival.

However, things changed in dramatic style as City scored two goals in two minutes to draw level with 12 minutes to go.

Captain Sean Newton provided the initial lifeline, scoring a with a low shot that appeared to squeeze through the fingers of goalkeeper Jack Norton and roll over the line.

Parkin equalised just two minutes later from close-range after goalkeeper Norton dropped a cross.

But there was to be an agonising late twist as Cogdon restored Shield’s lead in stoppage time when heading home at a corner.

South Shields: Norton; Baxter, Morse, Shaw, Callaghan (Lough 90+4); Briggs, Arca, Smith (Stephenson 90+4), Holmes (Richardson 45); Finnigan, Cogdon. Unused substitutes: Storey, Pattison, Sullivan, Connell.

York City: Worsnop; Parslow, Bencherif, Sukar (Smith HT), Whittle; Morgan-Smith, Heslop (Felix HT), Moke, Wharton (Almond HT), Newton; Parkin. Unused substitutes: Edmondson, Muggleton, Haswell, Simpson.

Referee: M Woods

Attendance: 2806

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!