Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City held to Curzon draw

By Toby Gray | 15th March 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Curzon Ashton Logo
Curzon Ashton
LNER Community Stadium
Tuesday 15th Mar - 19:45

York continue their unbeaten run despite being left frustrated against a resolute Curzon, with the affair ending goalless at the LNER Community Stadium.

The Minstermen came into tonight’s clash off the back of a dramatic penalty shoot-out win against National League side Dagenham & Redbridge in the FA Trophy. City will be looking to extend the unbeaten run to ten games whilst Curzon look to bolster their own playoff ambitions with another win, after a tough three points against Bradford PA.

John Lewis returned up front for the Minstermen, with McKay and McLaughlin also coming back into the starting XI from the weekends game. The Nash had former York man Jordan Lussey in the team and top scorer Alex Curran up top, fresh from a hat-trick at the weekend.

A slow start to the game from both teams was opened up with a flurry of York chances. City had the first chance of the game with an in swinging Paddy Mclaughlin corner, which was subsequently headed over by the towering header of Maxim Kouogun. Swiftly after, McLaughlin made a direct run towards the Curzon goal, with a powerful left footed strike hitting the outside of the post.

Curzon found their first effort of the game through City over playing in the middle. Curzon dispossessed City before breaking quickly, a nice lay off by Alex Curran to Connor Dimaio inside the area required a good block by Matty Brown to deny the attacker.

McLaughlin continuing to test the resolve of the Curzon backline, when again, he drove well into the visitors defence before dragging his shot just wide from the edge of the area. Identical to his first effort, the warning signs for the visitors are there. Twenty minutes gone, York well on top.

Even at the break. A good opening twenty minutes by York saw an early pattern of dominance, but the home side were withheld to half chances after this, notably John Lewis as his fierce left footed strike left the away sides keeper worried. Curzon reacted well to the challenge, and seemingly had the perfect game plan as they denied York any real goal scoring opportunities. The front three from Curzon looked a threat on the counter which led to an intriguing battle between Citys backline and the Curzon’s forwards.

York controlled the early proceedings of the second half, with the midfield trio dictating the tempo. Hancox’s growing influence on the game saw himself find a lot of space in behind the Curzon midfield, which was beginning to cause problems for the away side.

Chances at a premium, a couple of long range drives by the hosts were dealt with comfortably by Christopher Renshaw, but City could not create any clear cut chances, much to the frustration of the home fans. Curzon wasted a dangerous freekick on the seventieth minute but did nothing to trouble the City defence in the second half.

Sustained late pressure from York would have had the Nash worried, with crosses and corners being constantly put into the box without any reward. Eleven men behind the ball really made it difficult for the hosts, who had the Nash pinned into their area. With the last chance of the game a superb header across goal by John Lewis looked destined for Kouoguns head on the six yard box, but was flicked agonisingly away from the defender who would of certainly won it at the death. A goal was not to be.

A frustrating night for York who will feel this is a missed opportunity to gain valuable ground in the play-off race. By far the better side for the majority of the fixture, Curzon did well to limit York to any clear cut chances throughout with Renshaw being rarely tested. A lack of creativity around the area will give Askey things to work on at the training ground, but when the dust settles on tonight this could be a valuable point for City come the end of the season.


York City: Jameson, Duckworth, Kouogun, Brown (C), Barrow, Wright, McLaughlin, Hancox, McKay, John-Lewis, Willoughby (Dyson 77)

Unused Subs: Campbell, Sanders, Donaldson, Woods


Curzon Ashton: Renshaw, Challoner, Flowers, Wilson, Lussey, Richards, Mahon (C), Barton, Curran (Whitham 88), Dimaio (Thomas 64), Peers (Hobson 90)

Unused Subs: Knowles, Mariette


Referee: Andy Sykes

Attendance: 2,678 (15 away supporters)

Waitrose & Partners Man of the Match: Michael Duckworth

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!