Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City get point at Telford

By Dan Simmonite | 12th October 2019
Match Result
AFC Telford Logo
AFC Telford
York City Logo
York City
New Bucks Head Stadium
Saturday 12th Oct - 15:00

City drew 1-1 at AFC Telford United this afternoon, a Jordan Burrow goal cancelled out by James McQualkin restricting the Minstermen to a single point - albeit extending the unbeaten run to 21 games.

McNulty was the standout addition in a strong City side which contested at the New Buck’s Head stadium, with Telford fielding a relatively unknown side with three new signings during the week.

It was York who had the first good attempt on goal, a cross in the box then laid-off for Andy Bond who dragged wide under pressure from the edge.

Ferguson then had a glorious chance to open the scoring 15 minutes in, the wing-back receiving the ball in the middle of the penalty area after a one-two with Alex Kempster and placing agonisingly wide with his right foot.

Kempster fired one over the bar minutes later, followed by a Telford chance from the edge which was dragged wide by James McQuilkin.

On 27 minutes the ball seemingly bounced off a Telford defender’s hand in the box after Ferguson fizzed one in from the byline, but the referee said no penalty as the two teams played on.

City played their usual game down the wings, but the early crosses being dealt with ease by Telford goalkeeper Matthew Yates in the later stages of the first half.

The two sides went into the break goalless but City in control for most of the first 45 minutes.

York had a lot of the possession in the early stages of the second half, but it was Telford who nearly took the lead on 53 minutes, Aaron Williams crashing his spontaneous half-volley against the post from outside the area.

City then grabbed their deserved goal three minutes later, a great bit of play with Ferguson playing to Sean Newton who overlapped on the byline – he then squared to Jordan Burrow who made no mistake from point-blank range.

It was all-action on the hour mark with Telford squandering their best chance of the game as a fortunate rebound put one of the strikers straight through on goal – however, he couldn’t keep his composure at it was stuck well over the bar.

The first goal seemed to kick Telford into action and their all-out attack paid off as they levelled the score on 64 minutes, James McQualkin heading into the back of the net following a cross from the left-hand side.

Former Lilywhite Elliott Durrell came off the bench on 66 minutes as Steve Watson tried to provide something special for his side in the later stages. However, Telford pushed on for a second with Williams bulldozering his way through the middle only to shoot inches over the bar on 69 minutes.

Burrow nearly got a second on 73 minutes as he stuck the ball first time after a pull-back from David Ferguson, but Matthew Yates was on form and the ball stuck to the goalkeeper’s hands like glue.

Jameson was then called into action at the other end, making a sublime one-on-one save to keep out Williams, and then catching the follow up to stop any chance of Telford stealing a victory.

Nathan Dyer was inches from giving City a late winner on 83 minutes, just the toe of a Telford defender keeping out a ball to the back post where the young wing back would have had an easy tap-in.

Telford had the better of the chances in the dying stages of the game, Adam Walker going close with a standing shot and then Ellis Deeney striking high and wide from distance.

However, despite the pressure in the second half, City managed to keep the score level and gain a point which sees the club remain three points clear at the top of the National League North.

York City: Jameson, Dyer, Tait, McNulty, Newton, Ferguson, Moke (Green 75’), Bond (McFarlane 84’), McLaughlin (Durrell 66’), Kempster, Burrow

Unused substitutes: Whitley, Spratt

AFC Telford United: Yates, Lilly, Daniels, Deeney, Sass-Davies, Streete, Birch (White 76’), Walker, Stenson (Dinanga 84’), Williams, McQuilkin

Unused substitutes: Royle, Knights, Lait

Attendance: 1,305

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form


Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!