Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City fall to Kidderminster defeat

By Bradley Saxton | 14th August 2021
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Kidderminster Logo
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 14th Aug - 15:00

Sam Austin’s goal three minutes from time secured Kidderminster Harriers a 2-1 win against the Minstermen in the opening game of the new National League North campaign.

Kidderminster led at the break through Ashley Hemmings’ close-range finish at the far post, before Mackenzie Heaney’s half-volley brought the game level a minute into the second half. Austin won the game though for the visitors with a deflected effort from range on 87 minutes.

Steve Watson named an unchanged starting eleven ahead of kick off, following on from City’s impressive 3-2 win over Notts County last weekend.

Michael Duckworth started at right back, despite leaving the field at Meadow Lane due to injury, whilst Paddy McLaughlin retained his place at left back.

The visitors, managed by former York City captain Russell Penn, featured three former York players in their matchday squad. Goalkeeper Luke Simpson and defender Keith Lowe started, whilst former midfielder Lewis Montrose was included on the substitutes bench.

The home side started the game incredibly brightly, playing with an attacking intensity from the off. They had opportunities to take the lead within the first fifteen minutes, McLaughlin first saw his effort narrowly fly over the cross bar from distance, before Mark Beck headed wide from a Duckworth delivery from the right.

The away side took the lead after 22 minutes through Hemmings. Sam Fielding gave away possession, before a swift counter set Austin through on goal, who crossed low to the far post for Hemmings to tap home from close-range.

The Minstermen went close on the half-hour mark, as they went in search for an equaliser, but Clayton Donaldson’s smart header from a Heaney cross was tipped away to safety by Simpson.

Simpson reacted quickly to deny Donaldson again from six yards out three minutes later, before Beck outjumped Nathan Cameron to head towards goal, but his effort went inches wide of Simpson’s right-hand post.

Jameson did brilliantly to deny Omari Sterling-James inside of the area just before half time, after the forward found himself clear through on goal.

Heaney found York’s equaliser a minute after the restart, volleying low across Simpson’s goal into the bottom right corner, after Donaldson flicked on a from a ball over the top.

Former City defender Lowe was forced into a goal-line clearance from an Olly Dyson effort after 53 minutes, before Akil Wright fired just wide of goal from the resulting corner, following a goal-mouth scramble.

Austin tested Jameson into a save at the far post with his feet just after the hour mark, before a well-worked corner found Joseph Foulks in space on the edge of the area from a corner, but fired well over the bar for the visitors.

York started to get on top during the final twenty minutes, as they went in search of a winner. Wright and Duckworth had efforts on goal, causing Simpson to be wary, but both efforts were blocked and cleared in the process.

Following a lapse of concentration from the home side, Kidderminster sub Nyal Bell was presented with a chance to win the game for his side with seven minutes to go. After turning several players in possession, all he had to do was beat Jameson, but the City keeper stood strong to deny him.

Kidderminster went on to win the game, in the cruellest of manners. Austin had time and space to cut inside from the right, before unleashing a left-footed effort twenty yards out and with the aid of a deflection, it wrongfooted Jameson and bounced into the bottom right corner.

The away side did enough to record three points, leaving City without a point from their opening game. They will look to get off the board next weekend, when they travel to Meadow Park to take on Gloucester City in a 3pm kick off.


York City: Jameson, Duckworth, Fielding, Newton, McLaughlin, Wright, Dyson (Woods 63’), Heaney (Hopper 88’), Donaldson, Beck, Willoughby

Unused Subs: Jones, Campbell, Cunningham


Kidderminster Harriers: Simpson, Foulks, Lowe, Cameron, Richards, Keziah, Carrington, Austin, Sterling-James (Penny 54’), Hemmings (Montrose 78’), Freemantle (Bell 71’)

Unused Subs: Emery, White


Attendance: 2,019

Referee: Michael Barlow

Waitrose Man of the Match: Mackenzie Heaney


Match Statistics


Shots on target: York: 4  Kidderminster: 8

Shots off target: : York: 9  Kidderminster: 12

Corners: : York: 3  Kidderminster: 7

Offside: York: 0  Kidderminster: 4

Fouls: York: 10  Kidderminster: 6

Yellow cards: York: 0  Kidderminster: 0

Red Cards: York: 0  Kidderminster: 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!