Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City extend gap at the top

29th October 2019
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Boston Utd Logo
Boston Utd
Bootham Crescent
Tuesday 29th Oct - 19:45

Two goals in either half helped City increase their lead at the top of the National League North table. Alex Kempster and Jordan Burrow were on the scoresheet for City and despite a goal back from Jay Rollins for Boston United, City held on to claim the points.

Having beaten Chester 1-0 on Saturday, City were aiming to claim victory to send them eight points clear at the top of the table and keep the unbeaten start to the season going. Boston sat twelve in the table coming into this game, having won three of their last five games in the league.

There was just one changed to the City side from Saturday’s victory as Nathan Dyer came in for Kallum Griffiths.

York dominated the early stages of the first half. Kempster tried his luck from the right-hand side of the area but his shot went narrowly wide.

Kempster, who looked lively all half, broke down the left, beating two Boston defenders before his cross was cut out before it could fall to anyone in a City shirt.

Most of York’s play in the first half came down the left-hand side. This time it was David Ferguson’s turn to get into a great crossing position however his delivery was too high for Dan Maguire to reach.

Boston then had their best chance of the half. Striker Jordan Thewlis found himself one on one with Peter Jameson, and the City keeper pulled off a great save to prevent Boston going ahead.

Maguire had a chance of his own just a minute later, but the Boston defenders managed to get back in time to block his shot.

Andy Bond whipped in a dangerous free kick from the right-hand side, one which Boston keeper Peter Crook managed to punch away.

Kempster then broke through the middle for City, his pass was deflected into the path of Burrow, who’s left footed shot went narrowly wide.

Two minutes after that and York took the lead. Bond tried his luck from 20 yards out and Boston keeper Crook only managed to parry his shot into the path of Kempster who couldn’t miss, putting City one up with ten minutes of the second half remaining.

Boston responded after that. First Dominic Knowles shot was straight at Jameson in the City goal. Then, Adriano Moke produced a brilliant last ditch tackle to prevent Boston being clean through on goal, as City went in at the break one nil up.

Just two minutes into the second half and Kempster had a brilliant chance to square the ball to Maguire but his pass was intercepted just in time.

Jameson then made a great tackle himself, preventing Thewliss from taking the ball round him and having an open goal.

On the fifty minute mark, Burrow made it 2-0 to City. Ferguson’s original corner had to be retaken, and his second corner to the front post was brilliantly attacked by Burrow, who headed it past Crook at the near post to double City’s lead.

Andi Thanoj had a free kick on the edge of the box for Boston after Steve McNulty had handled the ball but it flew over the bar.

Boston then got a goal back. Jay Rollins was played in on the right hand side of the area and his shot flew past Jameson into the bottom corner.

Alex Whittle tried his luck shortly after the Boston goal, but Jameson saved easily.

After the Boston goal, City were the dominant team. Ferguson got himself inside the area on the left again, this time his cross was deflected behind.

Maguire weaved his way inside the box with some fantastic skill, his final shot saved well by Cook. Shortly after that, Moke had two shots from outside the area. The first rebounded straight back to him off a Boston defender, the second flying well over the bar.

Second half substitute Elliott Durrell swung a ball in from the right hand side and it almost crept in but Crook managed to get it away from any danger.

Ferguson then had a shot cleared off the line by the Boston defence. His left footed shot had got the better of Crook, however Boston had men back to prevent City regaining their two goal cushion.

Moke had a great chance for City with 15 minutes to go, driving with the ball into the Boston area before his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Sean Newton drove forward with the ball into the Boston half with ten minutes to go. He switched to Burrow who took aim from just inside the area, with his shot being well blocked.

Boston pushed bodies forward trying to get an equaliser but failed to create any clear chances as the City defence stood firm to keep the unbeaten run going.

York City: Jameson, Dyer, Ferguson, Newton, McNulty ©, Tait, Moke, Bond, Burrow, Maguire (Durrell 63) , Kempster (Green 82)

Unused Substitutes: McFarlane, King, Whitley

Boston United: Crook, Duhaney, Whittle, Platt, Ainge, Shiels ©, Woolford (Walker 71), Abbott (Thanoj 46), Knowles, Thewlis, Rollins (Penny 73)

Unused Substitutes: Willis, Tuton

Attendance: 2768 (112 away)

Referee: Dean Hulme


Report by Jack Witham.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!