Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City exit FA Cup with narrow defeat

10th November 2019
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Altrincham Logo
Bootham Crescent
Sunday 10th Nov - 12:45

Tom Peers scored late in the second half for Altrincham to knock City out of the Emirates FA Cup at the first round stage. Tony Thompson also saved an Andy Bond penalty with the scores level.

Altrincham came into this game in good form, having not lost in their last six games in all competitions. York won 3-1 when the sides met on the opening day of the season.

Steve Watson made one change to the side that drew with Kidderminster Harriers last time out; Kieran Green coming in for Jordan Burrow. Altrincham also made one change to their side with Jordan Hulme dropping to the bench in place of Yusifu Ceesay.

The first 20 minutes of the game was scrappy, with no side having a clear cut chance. The first half chance fell to Green. His first time effort was blocked by a defender and the ball rolled into the keepers hands.

Altrincham got their first chance from a corner. John Johnson swung it in onto the head of skipper Jake Moult and his effort was goal bound until it struck Steve McNulty and went behind. The following corner also caused problems, with the ball going wide of the post.

Joe Tait saw his ambitious attempt from the edge of the box fly over the bar.

Sean Newton then smashed the crossbar from a free kick on the edge of the box. His thunderous left footed strike had beaten Tony Thompson in goal but rebounded back out off the bar and Green smashed the follow up over.

Green then met a corner at the back post for City, his header going narrowly wide as City began to grow into the game.

Altrincham went down the right and Shaun Densmore got to the by-line, pulled it back to Peers who fired over.

City tried to break down a very well organised Altrincham side before the break but the away side stood firm, as the two sides went in at the break level.

The second half started similarly to the first, with neither side dominating. Altrincham hit the cross bar with a header but the linesman had his flag up.

City were awarded a penalty ten minutes into the second half. Dan Maquire was taken down by goalkeeper Thompson inside the area and the referee took his time before awarding the penalty. Thompson then made amends, saving Bond’s penalty. A goalmouth scramble then followed, with City smashing the bar in the process before the away side eventually got the ball away.

A great defensive header at the back post from David Ferguson prevented Johnson from having a strike on goal. Peter Jameson punched the resulting corner away from any danger. Jameson was then involved again, saving well from a free kick from Johnson.

Both teams lost players to injury in the second half. Maquire hobbled off for York, whilst Ceesay went off for Altrincham. Substitute Hulme had a chance for the away side but his shot went wide.

With ten minutes to go, Altrincham took the lead. Hulme played in Peers who curled one into the corner from just inside the area, leaving Jameson with no chance in the City goal.

York pushed for an equaliser and nearly got it when substitute Jordan Burrow met a corner however his header went just over the bar.

York continued to push but couldn’t find the goal to send the game into a replay meaning the Minstermen exited the FA Cup.

York City: Jameson, Griffiths (Langstaff 83), Ferguson, Newton, McNulty ©, Tait, Moke, Bond, Green (Burrow 59), Maguire (Durrell 76), Kempster

Unused Substitutes: King, Whitley, McLaughlin, Spratt

Altrincham: Thompson, Densmore, White, Jones, Hannigan, Moult ©, Johnson (Hampson 90), Williams (Richman 86), Peers, Hancock, Ceesay (Hulme 66)

Unused Substitutes: Harrop, Mullarkey, Torrance

Attendance: 3222 (354 away)

Man of the Match (chosen by University of York Football): Steve McNulty

Referee: James Bell



Report by Jack Witham.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!