Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City draw with top of the league Gateshead

By Dan Simmonite | 29th January 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Gateshead Logo
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 29th Jan - 15:00

John Askey’s men battled back after going one down to secure a draw against top of the league Gateshead.

Akil Wright was back from injury and replaced Paddy McLaughlin in midfield, whilst Kurt Willoughby was given the nod over Clayton Donaldson as centre forward.

Former Minsterman Macaulay Langstaff had been on form for the Heed and nearly started the game with a goal, a ball over the top giving him time and space to drive across the face of goal and out at the back post.

His strike partner Cedwyn Scott then tested Pete Jameson with a strike from the edge which the City goalkeeper saved at full stretch.

Gateshead’s Owen Bailey went close on 15 minutes, a corner finding the head of the former Newcastle United man but the midfielder failing to find the target from close range as he glanced wide.

The Minstermen’s first effort on goal came on 25 minutes when Akil Wright won the ball in the final third and laid off for Mitch Hancox to try one from the edge – his left-footed effort just wide.

Heed captain Greg Olley then headed over from close range at the front post following Langstaff’s cross just past the half hour mark.

Bailey had another chance to grab the first goal on 36 minutes, going through on the right of the box before Jameson palmed his shot over the crossbar.

Pete Jameson was called into action again minutes later, this time pushing away Adam Campbell’s curling free kick from 30 yards.

Just before half time there were calls for a penalty as a hand looked to deny Kurt Willoughby on the line after the forward latched onto Matty Brown’s headed across goal following a free kick.

Minutes into the second half Willoughby went close again, this time a free kick curled up and over the wall and inches over the cross bar.

But again, the chances seemed to fall to the away side, this time Olley turning on the left of the box and finding space to curl an effort whiskers wide on 60 minutes.

Gateshead looked shaky just past the hour mark as a wayward back pass by Louis Story nearly ended up in his own net, but goalkeeper Chapman saved the defender’s blushes.

The Heed stayed strong and managed to break the deadlock on 76 minutes, showing their attacking prowess through a hooked effort towards goal initially saved by Jameson before Scott was right place and right time to slot into an open goal.

But City broke back almost straight away, substitute Clayton Donaldson bundling the ball over the line 10 minutes from time to level the score.

City looked lively in the final minutes, notably Jack McKay creating a chance down the wing and cutting inside to Akil Wright then laid off to Donaldson – but the forward was tackled from under his heels before he could get a shot off.

The game ended in a stalemate after three minutes of injury time, a positive result for City ahead of next week’s visit to Blyth Spartans.



York City: Jameson (GK); Duckworth, Kouogun, Brown ©, Barrow; Dyson, Wright, Hancox; Longdon (Donaldson 72), Willoughby, McKay

Unused Subs: Campbell, Haase, McLaughlin, Jarvis

Goals: Clayton Donaldson (80’)


Gateshead: Chapman (GK); Tinkler, Storey, Nicholson, Magnay; Bailey (Blackett 75), Olley ©, Hunter; Campbell, Scott, Langstaff

Unused Subs: Greenfield, Pani, Jacob, Charters

Goals: Cedwyn Scott (76’)


Attendance: 3,578 (433 away)

Referee: Ben Wyatt

Waitrose & Partners Man of the Match: Akil Wright

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!