Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City draw level with Farsley

By Dan Simmonite | 10th October 2020
Match Result
Farsley Celtic Logo
Farsley Celtic
York City Logo
York City
Throstle Nest
Saturday 10th Oct - 15:00

City conceded a late goal at The Citadel which denied the Minstermen three points on the road as the score stood 1-1 against Farsley Celtic.

Steve Watson named just one change from the side which beat Chorley in mid-week, Kieran Kennedy coming in for an injured Robbie Tinkler.

Farsley lined up with three former York players in the starting eleven; Jake Charles, Tom Allan and Tyler Walton, the latter playing to Jimmy Spencer for the first chance of the game; the forward turning and firing high and wide.

Olly Dyson retained his place in the side and looked lively in the early stages, notably gambling on a back pass and nearly getting the ball from Steven Drench as the goalkeeper cleared.

Matty Brown looked to have the opener on 9 minutes when he headed goal bound from a corner, but a reaction save kept the ball out in a crowded area.

And City continued to look a threat from corner balls, Cassidy heading just over the bar whilst back-pedalling.

Michael Duckworth was next to go close, taking a touch after a headed ball out and forcing a fingertip save from 25 yards.

Farsley nearly had the ball in their own net on 33 minutes, defender Allan deflecting a corner inches over the crossbar in what would have been a very unfortune opening goal in West Yorkshire.

The deadlock was finally broken on 37 minutes, Sean Newton showing great determination to head a clearance out to the left to Scott Barrow before receiving the ball inside the box and thundering an impressive strike into the top corner.

Early in the second half Dyson could have made it two, the forward outmuscling a green shirt, pulling the ball in from the byline and smacking the woodwork.

Michael Woods was next to go close, latching onto a great one-two before Drench narrowed down the angle to stop the shot.

Farsley pushed on in the latter stages of the game and had the ball in the back of the net on the hour mark, but the referee pulled back for a foul.

20 minutes later, substitute Dave Syers got the all-important equaliser after an almost free header from a set piece was placed past Jameson and into the corner.

Farsley then hit the crossbar from inside the box after a header landed to a green shirt in the area.

The City defence struggled in the last few minutes and Jameson saved his teammates from a defeat with a point-blank block from Syers at the back post.

After three minutes of added time the whistle blew and the contest ended 1-1, City still unbeaten in four games, but will be disappointed not to get the win after a positive first half performance.

The team now go into Tuesday’s FA Cup game sitting 5th in the National League North.

York City: Jameson, Kennedy, Brown, Newton, Duckworth, Barrow, McLaughlin, Woods, Wright, Dyson (Bunn 60), Cassidy.

Unused subs: Flatters, Spratt, Gamble, Potts.

Farsley Celtic: Drench, Richards, West (Parkin 74), Allan, Ellis, Clayton, Byrom, C Atkinson, Spencer, Charles (Syers 74), Walton (B Atkinson 68).

Unused subs: Kelly.

Attendance: N/A

Referee: Liam Marshall

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!