Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City defeat at the hands of the Heed

By Bradley Saxton | 7th December 2021
Match Result
Gateshead Logo
York City Logo
York City
Gateshead International Stadium
Tuesday 7th Dec - 19:45

The Minstermen crashed to their first defeat in three games after losing 2-0 away at Gateshead.

A first-half penalty from Cedwyn Scott gave the home side the lead at the break, before a late Luke Williams screamer sealed all three points for the Heed at the Gateshead International Stadium. 

The home side were looking to get back to winning ways after falling to two defeats in their two previous games and continue their unbeaten run at home in the league, after winning all five of their opening National League North games at home.

Gateshead crashed out of the FA Cup 2nd Round at the hands of League One side Charlton Athletic on Friday night and manager Mike Williamson made three changes from that side that suffered defeat, as Jack Hunter, Matty Jacob and Paul Blackett all came into the starting eleven.

City made it back-to-back wins on Saturday with a 1-0 win over Guiseley on Saturday and they were hoping to make it a three wins on the bounce ahead of kick off.

John Askey made only the one change from the side that recorded three points on Saturday, as Mitch Hancox came into the starting eleven to replace Clayton Donaldson.

The Minstermen started the game quickly and nearly took the lead inside the first two minutes. Adam Senior’s perfectly timed through ball picked out Kurt Willoughby, who forced Gateshead keeper Jacob Chapman into a smart finger-tip save from a tight angle.

The Heed were denied by two brilliant blocks from Matty Brown to prevent them from taking the lead minutes later, as Scott and Blackett were both denied by the City defender.

Gateshead enjoyed putting lots of attacking pressure on the City defence in the opening half-hour and they went close again when Ryan Wombwell headed inches wide of goal from a delivery into the penalty area, before Greg Olley fired over the bar with a free-kick from 25 yards out.

The chances kept on coming for the home side and Blackett missed a brilliant opportunity to break the deadlock again for the home side. Dan Ward did well to keep the ball in on the left, he crossed centrally for Blackett, but the forward headed well over the bar from close-range.

The home side eventually broke the deadlock in the 39th minute through Scott’s 10th goal of the season from the penalty spot. The striker was fouled by Senior in the penalty area and the forward stepped up to send Jameson the wrong way from twelve yards.

Gateshead pushed on as they searched for a second goal early into the second half. Olley fired wide of Jameson’s right-hand post with a left-footed effort on the turn, before Adam Campbell fired low at Jameson from a tight angle on the right.

Blackett couldn’t capitalise on a chance from close-range for the home side to double the lead on the hour mark, before Willoughby fired wide of goal for City with a fierce left-footed effort.

Kieran Wallace made a last-ditch block to send a Ward effort for Gateshead out for a corner, before second-half substitute Williams blazed over the bar from distance.

Willoughby sent an effort high and wide of goal for the Minstermen with fifteen minutes to go, before Akil Wright went for goal from distance, but the ball ended up also flying high and wide out of play.

York were made to pay for their missed chances as Williams doubled Gateshead’s lead with seven minutes to go, firing a fierce right-footed effort into the top-left corner beyond Jameson from the edge of the area.

Defeat leaves the Minstermen in 11th place in the table and they are back in action this coming Saturday, as they will look to get back to winning ways in the National League North. Chorley are the visitors to the LNER Community Stadium, with the game kicking off at 3pm.



Gateshead: Chapman (GK), Tinkler (Wombwell 19’), Hunter, Storey, Jacob, Bailey, Olley (C), Ward, Campbell, Scott (Williams 71’), Blackett (Langstaff 64’)

Unused Subs: Pani,

Goals: Scott (39’ pen), Williams (83’)


York City: Jameson (GK), Senior, Brown, Newton (C), Barrow, Wallace (Heaney 82’), Wright, McLaughlin (Donaldson 49’), Willoughby, Beck, Hancox

Unused Subs: Gilchrist, Hopper, Campbell

Goals: N/A


Referee: John Mulligan

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!