Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City defeat Chester in Walled City Derby

By Bradley Saxton | 23rd October 2021
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Chester FC Logo
Chester FC
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 23rd Oct - 15:00

The Minstermen extended their unbeaten run to five matches with a 1-0 win over Chester at the LNER Community Stadium.

Mark Beck’s fourth goal of the season was enough to seal all three points for York, as Steve Watson’s side moved up to eighth in the National League North table.

York went into this game off the back of Tuesday’s night’s FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay win over Morpeth Town and they were looking to add another victory on the board.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s Chester side went into the game sat 14th in the National League North table and they were looking to get back to winning ways following their 0-0 draw with Kettering Town a fortnight ago.

Watson was handed a much needed boost for his team selection ahead of kick off, as both Matty Brown and Sean Newton returned to the matchday squad from injury. Brown came into the starting eleven to replace Sam Fielding, whilst Newton was named amongst the substitutes.

The home side went close to breaking the deadlock after only two minutes when Beck headed the ball goal-bound from an Olly Dyson corner, but a block from a Chester defender saw the ball cleared and away from danger.

They went close again five minutes later when Clayton Donaldson got his foot onto the end of another Dyson corner, his effort was kept out off the line by a Chester defender, before the home side had an appeal for a handball decision in the penalty area turned down by the referee.

The visitors went close twice in quick succession as they looked to break the deadlock in North Yorkshire themselves. Defender Simon Grand couldn’t divert a Dan Cowan flick on towards goal following a corner, before Jameson beat George Glendon to the ball after the midfielder tried rounding the City shot-stopper.

The Cheshire side went close again after 26 minutes when Anthony Dudley broke into the penalty area beating three York defenders, before squaring across to Declan Weeks at the far post, but he could only see his effort go into the side netting from close-range.

Former City player Jack Redshaw had a long-range effort on goal from 25 yards out eight minutes before the break, but Jameson reacted smartly to tip his effort away for a corner.  

Despite being put under a lot of pressure from the visitors, it was the home side who broke the deadlock three minutes before the break. Kurt Willoughby’s perfectly timed crossfield pass was picked up by Michael Duckworth on the right wing, who crossed for Beck at the far post to head home beyond Chester keeper Louis Gray.

York continued to push for a second goal early into the second half when Donaldson headed inches wide from a Willoughby delivery from the left, before Duckworth also went close when he fired narrowly over from a long-range free kick.

Donaldson attempted to lob Gray after spotting the Chester keeper off his line, but the effort flew high over the bar, before substitute Mackenzie Heaney dragged the ball just wide of Gray’s left-hand post after hitting the visitors on the counter-attack.

Harrison Hopper tested the keeper with ten minutes to go from the edge of the penalty area for City, Gray fumbled the effort before managing to reclaim the ball before it crossed the line.

York held on for victory and secured all three points at the LNER Community Stadium. They will now look forward to a trip to the Jakeman’s Community Stadium on Tuesday evening when they take on Boston United in the National League North (7:45pm kick off).


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth (Newton 90’), Wright, Brown (C), McLaughlin, Dyson, Woods, Hopper, Beck, Donaldson, Willoughby (Heaney 65’)

Unused Subs: Haase, Campbell, Lancaster

Goals: Beck (42’)


Chester: Gray (GK), Grand, Weeks, Cowan, Hardy (Oyibo 65’), Glendon, Dudley, Lacey (Waring 81’), Williams, Askew, Redshaw (Stephenson 71’)

Unused Subs: Clark, Horsfield

Goals: N/A


Attendance: 3,154 (417 away supporters)

Referee: Paul Cooper

Waitrose & Partners Man of the Match: Peter Jameson

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!