Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City come from behind in Trophy heroics

By Dan Simmonite | 12th February 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Morpeth Town Logo
Morpeth Town
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 12th Feb - 15:00

The Minstermen came from behind to beat Morpeth 3-2 and progress in the Buildbase FA Trophy with an emphatic last minute winner at the LNER Community Stadium.

John Askey’s men had just come off the back of two straight league wins and were full of confidence going into the fifth round tie.

Three changes were made to the starting eleven with Hull City loanee Will Jarvis given his first start and AJ Greaves also appearing for the first time, replacing Maxim Kouogun who felt an injury in the warmups. Clayton Donaldson was also given the nod over Kurt Willoughby.

City started with the first chances of the game, first Paddy McLaughlin driving through the centre of the pitch and forcing Dan Lowson to get down and save before Duckworth found space on the right of the box after cutting inside – only for his shot to be blocked again by the Morpeth goalkeeper.

Despite the positive start, Morpeth were the first to break the deadlock, with Andrew Johnson running inside the box on the left and curling an effort through a crowded area and into the bottom corner on 26 minutes.

The second half told the same story, with City starting with good chances through Olly Dyson’s deflected strike which bounced just wide and Matty Brown who had his header cleared off the line.

But again, Morpeth proved clinical and managed to double their lead after Ryan Donaldson nodded in from close range on 64 minutes following a cross from Jack Foalle on the right wing. Albeit the goalscorer Donaldson was lucky to be on the pitch after an earlier deliberate elbow on Mitch Hancox off the ball and away from play.

Hancox used this incident as motivation and karma struck just five minutes after, when the midfielder tapped in Willoughby’s initial curling effort which clattered against the crossbar and rebounded straight to the feet of the Hereford loanee who couldn’t miss from two yards out.

Backed by a healthy crowd, the team pushed on and managed to grab the all-important equaliser on 78 minutes, who else but Mitch Hancox cropping up again in the goal mouth and latching onto Akil Wright’s drive across the face of goal following an initial save.

City went all out attack in the final stages to grab the winning goal and that moment nearly came 10 minutes from time, with Remy Longdon dribbling 25 yards out and unleashing a ferocious strike which crashed against the crossbar.

Matty Brown then curled one inches wide of the top corner after finding space to shoot on the edge of a crowded area, leaving Askey’s men staring down the barrel at a penalty shootout.

But in the last minute of the game, City’s captain led by example and headed in a Hancox cross from the right to send the stadium into pandemonium. The goal was Brown’s third of the season and secured City their place in the quarter finals of the competition.

Askey’s men are now just two wins away from the final at Wembley Stadium and will be eagerly awaiting the draw on Monday afternoon.


York City: Jameson; Duckworth, Wright, Brown, Barrow; Dyson, Greaves (Longdon 69), McLaughlin; Jarvis (Willoughby 69), C. Donaldson, Hancox

Subs not used: Campbell, Haase, Woods

Goals: Hancox 69’, 78’, Brown 89’

Yellow Cards: Jarvis


Morpeth Town: Lowson; Forster, J. Henderson, Turner, Phillips; Oliver (Finnigan 90), Noble, R. Donaldson; Foalle (Walton 71), L. Henderson, Johnson (Ramsay)

Subs not used: Taylor, Anderson

Goals: Johnson 26’, Donaldson 64’

Yellow Cards: Foalle, Turner


Attendance: 2,725 (455 away)

Referee: Thomas Parsons

Waitrose Man of the Match (chosen by Mitch Hancox

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!