Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City bag fourth straight victory

By Bradley Saxton | 15th February 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
AFC Telford Logo
AFC Telford
LNER Community Stadium
Tuesday 15th Feb - 19:45

The Minstermen secured their fourth-straight win after a 3-1 victory over AFC Telford United under the lights at the LNER Community Stadium.

Goals from Jack McKay and Akil Wright handed the Minstermen a comfortable lead heading into the break. Jason Oswell responded with a header for the visitors with twelve minutes to go, but Maxim Kouogun’s first goal for City secured York all three points.

After securing wins over Blyth Spartans, Bradford (Park Avenue) and Morpeth Town in their previous three games, the Minstermen were looking to make it a fourth consecutive win on the bounce in all competitions.

Interim Manager John Askey named three changes from the side that secured a late 3-2 win on Saturday against Morpeth in the Buildbase FA Trophy. McKay and Kouogun both returned to the starting eleven, whilst Kurt Willoughby also came back into the fold in the place of Clayton Donaldson who dropped to the bench. 

AFC Telford came into this fixture a point off bottom of the table, having not secured a win in any of their previous three games in the National League North.

Paul Carden’s side were also still searching for their first away win of the season in the league, having only secured four points on the road so far this campaign.

The home side started quickly at the LNER Community Stadium and after only two minutes Wright fired narrowly over the bar from 25-yards out, before Olly Dyson fired a fierce free-kick narrowly wide of Russ Griffiths’ left-hand post from long-range.

City were then presented with a brilliant chance to break the deadlock through Willoughby. The forward couldn’t capitalise from point-blank range, after being played through by a perfectly-timed through ball from McKay from the left.

The deadlock was broken though after 17 minutes through McKay with a perfectly-timed lob over Griffiths from the left-hand side of the penalty area, after receiving the ball out wide from Michael Duckworth.  

McKay almost doubled the Minstermen’s lead a minute later, gambling on a mistake at the back from AFC Telford. He rounded the keeper, but he was unable to find the back of the net as he rolled his effort wide of goal from a tight angle on the right.

Peter Jameson was called into action just short of the half-hour mark, pulling off a brilliant one-handed save to deny a volley from AFC Telford from close-range, before Dyson went close again for York with a low effort that drifted wide of goal.

Wright made it 2-0 to the Minstermen in first-half injury time. The midfielder made a brilliant surging run through the Telford defence, before firing a fierce strike low into the bottom-right corner beyond Griffiths to score his fifth goal of the season.

After a dominating first-half performance, Askey’s side came out for the second period with the same level of determination and they went in search of a third goal almost immediately. Paddy McLaughlin drifted a left-footed wide of the keeper’s left-hand post, before Willoughby was denied by a smart save from Griffiths from the edge of the area.

AFC Telford substitute Oswell fired well over the bar on the turn just after the hour mark, before Willoughby went close again for York with a curling effort which went wide of goal.

Oswell did manage to find a way back into the game for Telford with twelve minutes to go, heading home from a Brendan Daniels corner to give his side a lifeline.

The Minstermen responded though four minutes later to put the game to bed, as Kouogun rose highest at the front post to head home from a Dyson corner to make it 3-1 to the hosts.  

City held on for as they recorded their fourth successive win in all competitions, which the sees the Minstermen move three points off Kettering Town in the final playoff spot with a game in hand. 

The Minstermen will look to make it five straight victories this coming Saturday when they travel to Latimer Park to take on Kettering in the National League North, as Askey's men look to move further up the league table (3pm kick-off).


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth, Kouogun, Brown (C), Barrow, Wright, McLaughlin, Hancox, Dyson, Willoughby (John-Lewis 76’), McKay

Unused Subs: Donaldson, Greaves, Jarvis, Campbell

Goals: McKay (17’), Wright (45+2’), Kouogun (82’)


AFC Telford United: Griffiths (GK), White, Streete, Baker (Daniel 66’), Goodridge, Moore (Jarrett 66’), Bood, Wright (Oswell 46’), Piggott, Ward, Nolan

Unused Subs: Shaw, Sherif

Goals: Oswell (78’)


Attendance: 2,402 (42 away supporters)

Referee: James Bancroft


Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!