Skip to main content

City Suffer Narrow Town Loss

Posted: Wed 27 Jul 2016
Author: Niall Cope
Image by: Action Images

Second half free-kick wins it for home side...

YORK City succumbed to a narrow 2-1 defeat on their visit to the CNG Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Reece Thompson had given the visitors the lead midway through the first period before Jordan Robertson equalised soon after for Harrogate Town

The hosts enjoyed the better of the second half following an even first and grabbed the winner through Andy Thanoj’s perfected free-kick on 60 minutes.

After a very quiet opening 20 minutes, where the only thing of note was a yellow card picked up by Louie Swain for a rough challenge on Kaine Felix, the game burst into life a minute later as City took the lead.

Following slick approach play, Reece Thompson played a one-two with Richard Brodie before firing low and hard past Peter Crook in the home goa.

The game was level four minutes later however when the City defence switched off and allowed Robertson a free header at the far post following Dominic Knowles pin-point cross.

Knowles, who was a scorer in the pre-season friendly last season, gradually began to cause problems and after surging forward and bypassing Jack Higgins’ rash challenge, he drilled a 20-yard effort narrowly wide of the upright.

Down at the other end meanwhile, Richard Brodie fired well over following a bight move between Kaine Felix and Reece Thompson down the right.

A succession of cautions towards the end of the opening period saw the half peter out, but shortly after the interval Knowles went close with an effort from just outside the area.

Town slowly started to impress themselves on the Minstermen with young replacements made for experience duo Jack Higgins and Richard Brodie, and after Andy Thanoj rattled the woodwork with a free-kick from 25 yards, he made no mistake on the hour mark with a set piece five yards closer to goal, leaving Luke Simpson with little chance.

The flurry of substitutes which ensued soon after broke up the rhythm of the game with neither side really create anything until the 83rd minute when Luke Simpson pulled off a great point-blank range stop to deny Chib Chilaka, before the shot-stopper repeated the feat two minutes from time to thwart Simon Ainge’s bullet header.