Skip to main content

Last Minute Defeat For Under-18s

Posted: Sat 08 Apr 2017
Author: Nathan Spafford

Late chip leaves Minstermen empty handed...

YORK City Under-18s conceded a last minute goal as they fell 3-2 at home to Hartlepool United in the Youth Alliance League North East.

Liam Travers’ late chipped effort secured the three points for the visitors against a Minstermen side who had led twice to goals from captain Aaron Brettell and striker Aaron Haswell.

However, a Ryan Whitley own goal and Connor Simpson’s header, both in the first half, paved the way for the late winner which was cruel on Steve Torpey’s side having played some good football throughout the game.

Few could have expected the final result just a couple of minutes in as Haswell’s looping header from an accurate corner kick provided the hosts with the lead against a side searching for their first away win since November.

However, Hartlepool did work their way back level but it came via more than a slice of good fortune as Whitley failed to collect a cross underneath the blaring sun and inadvertently knocked it into his own goal under pressure from the influential Travers.

City suffered a tough period afterwards and after Hartlepool hit the crossbar, City made the most of a lapse in concentration at the back, Flynn McNaughton pressing well to rob visiting ‘keeper Scott Moloney of the ball, allowing Haswell to tap home into an empty goal.

Pools hit the bar again soon after through Josh Fielding before Travers had a stinging shot palmed away well by Whitley but the pressure soon told and Connor Simpson used his aerial advantage to level the scores once more from a well-placed corner ball.

On the stroke of half time, York thought they had the lead once more as Tyler Walton stroked the ball home but the offside flag had gone up as Walton turned around the final defender.

The second half was not as open as the first with many mistakes being cut out from both outfits but Brettell had a golden opportunity on the hour mark to grab his second, and City’s third of the early afternoon. However, the bar was once again struck as the centre back’s powerful effort came back off the woodwork and to Alex Bruton who fired over.

Hartlepool took control of the game from then on in, Liam Pritchard and Jordan Fielding both being denied by Whitley before Bruton saw a chance go wide having been played in by Tyler Walton at the near post.
Just as it looked like finishing all square though, Travers pounced on a loose ball and with plenty still to do, lobbed Whitley and won the match for the visitors.

YORK CITY XI: Whitley, Berry, Lawrence, Fielding Rogerson, Brettell (C), Thompson, Walton, McNaughton, Haswell, Bruton