Skip to main content

Honours Even In Magpies Friendly

Posted: Sat 30 Jul 2016
Author: Niall Cope
Image by: Simon Davies

City end pre-season programme with score draw...

YORK City had to settle for a 1-1 draw against a Newcastle United XI at Bootham Crescent on Saturday afternoon.

Aidan Connolly had given the hosts an early lead before Matty Fry's unfortunate own goal levelled the scores after the interval.

Both sides looked to secure a winner during a disjointed second period but ultimately one couldn't be found as the Minstermen wrapped up their pre-season programme ahead of next weekend's National League opener away to Maidstone United.

On a sun drenched afternoon in North Yorkshire, City were quickest out of the blocks and with their first real opportunity took the lead in the seventh minute. Scott Fenwick’s low drive was pushed into the path of Connolly who simply prodded over the line from four yards out.

New ‘keeper Luke Simpson had to be alert just two minutes later as United looked to respond almost immediately when he got down well to thwart Haris Vuckic’s rasping effort.

It was opposition shot-stopper Nathan Harker who was called into more telling action as the clock towards the midway point when he somehow kept out Fenwick’s close range shot following Aidan Connolly deep corner. Meanwhile, down at the other end, Simpson comfortably dealt with Callum Roberts’ 14-yard effort before the break.

After appearing to be in control of the contest, City’s grip was loosened four minutes into the second half when an in-swinging corner hit the unfortunate Fry and trickled over the line with Simpson wrong footed.

Although Shaun Rooney went close from a Yan Klukowski corner, the visitors had the better of the second period as Ivan Toney and Gael Bigirimana went close before former Minsterman Kyle Cameron was expertly denied by a strong hand from Simpson following a close range shot.

A number of substitutes from both teams hampered the flow of the contest and it wasn’t until the final few minutes when the next and final opportunity arose, as Simpson once again shone between the sticks to thwart Toney with his foot from point-blank range.