Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Aug 15 at 17:00 PM

City Held To Grecians Draw

YORK City had to settle for a point away to Exeter City on Saturday afternoon in Sky Bet League Two.

Both teams failed to really worry the opposition keeper throughout the match but the 0-0 draw makes it four points out of a possible six for the Minstermen, as well as back-to-back clean sheets.

Russ Wilcox will be more the content of the two managers following the result and will no doubt be looking for his side to demonstrate their battling qualities once again against Swansea City on Tuesday evening in the Capital One Cup Second Round tie at the Liberty Stadium.

In a rather quiet opening to the contest, it took until the 10th minute for either side to fashion any sort of opening and when the Minstermen did create a chance following Marvin McCoy’s right-wing cross to the far post, Jake Hyde was unable to get enough on his header to really trouble former City loanee Bobby Olejnik in the home goal.

It remained extremely uneventful throughout the entirety of the first half with the game having a very much stop start feel about it and both sides being forced into early substitutions due to injury, including Stephane Zubar being replaced by Femi Ilesanmi for City after what look liked a jarred knee for the defender.

Following the Minstermen’s early effort, the hosts finally managed to muster an opportunity for themseleves when Ryan Harley had time to fire towards goal from 25 yards but Wilcox’s side threw their bodies on the line to ensure the score remained goalless at the break.

Paul Tisdale’s team were much brighter after the interval and on the front foot from the off. Manny Oyeleke went narrowly close to giving the Grecians the lead with the game’s best chance in the 53rd minute but after surging towards the City box, he fired just over from 20 yards.

The match soon went back to the disjointed nature that had taken place in the first as both teams failed to carve out any clear cut chances before the final quarter of the match.

As it entered the final exchanges the game did finally open up and opportunities started to arise for both teams but wastefulness in front of goal ensured the score stayed level. Harley drilled wide after good approach play down the Exeter left, before Russ Penn and Vadaine Oliver fired off target at the other end.

Wilcox threw on Emile Sinclair for the final exchanges but it was the opposition who went the closest to winning it when Harley curled a free-kick just wide from the edge-of-the-area.

    Latest Match Reports