Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 18 Aug 15 at 22:00 PM

Berrett Effort Secures Three Points

YORK City finally converted their previously impressive performances on Tuesday night with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Yeovil Town.

A slow start to the clash provided a goalless first half but it was the lively home crowd at Bootham Crescent that inspired the urgency needed to break the deadlock with James Berrett’s deflected shot on the hour mark providing the Minstermen with a vital first win and three points on the board.

Making just one change to the side that he fielded for the first three games, Russ Wilcox rested Luke Summerfield to introduce teenager Ben Godfrey, handing him his professional debut. 

In contrast to York’s form of late, the game started sluggish, perhaps the pressure on both sides to finally bring some points to the table lingering in their minds.

Berrett’s explosive opening shot early in the opening period was anything but sluggish though, his rattling effort out of nowhere firing just high of the crossbar.

At the other end Harry Cornick managed to weave himself into the City box before getting his shot away but the wall of red facing him dealt with the final product with ease. 

Inspired by the sudden urgency, City finally started to come alive late into the half with skipper Russell Penn at the heart of every attack.

They were very nearly rewarded through Stephane Zubar whose close range effort was denied from close range by keeper Artur Krysiak before Penn himself tried his luck from outside the box.

With both sides unchanged going into the second period, the display from the first half was replicated and the opening moments saw the two sides proceed to cancel each other out.

Following a foul on Vadaine Oliver in the centre of the park, a noisy Bootham Crescent erupted, igniting a whole new tempo in the clash.

It didn’t take long for the Minstermen to respond to the noise, building up waves of attacks on an anxious looking Yeovil. They finally opened the scoring with an hour gone through the deflected effort of man of the match Berrett.

Coming off to a standing ovation, youngster Godfrey made way following a valiant 70 minutes to give defender Eddie Nolan his home debut and chance for City to relax on their lead.

Reece Thompson also made way for Jake Hyde who made immediate impact with bags of energy exposing the Yeovil backline. He was the one to provide City with their next attempt on goal, his curling effort spinning out of the hands of Krysiak, but the keeper recovered it safely just in the knick of time.

With an indicted four minutes of added time, Yeovil turned up the heat in an attempt to save another game from slipping through their fingertips. Wes Fogden provided a nervous moment deep into injury time, his lashed effort licking the paintwork on the crossbar as it sailed into the away support but City held on to safely bag their first three points of the season.

    Latest Match Reports