Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Mar 17 at 17:00 PM

Minstermen Book Wembley Trip After Extra-Time Penalty

WE'RE going to Wembley.

York City managed a 1-1 draw with National League leaders Lincoln City at Sincil Bank to take Gary Mills and his side to the Buildbase FA Trophy Final to face Macclesfield Town.

Sean Raggett scored a header to take the tie to an extra 30 minutes, but Scott Fenwick netted a penalty at the end of the first half of extra time to score a vital goal that means the Minstermen will descend on the national stadium in May.

It was an understandably tense start at Sincil Bank, both sides struggling to get into their rhythm early on.

Lincoln's Alan Power curled an effort from 25 yards out to force a strong save from Kyle Letheren low to his left. Imps defender Luke Waterfall won the ball from the resulting corner, just prodding wide of the near post.

The hosts were being matched man for man by the Minstermen at the half-way point of the first half, with the visitors looking to disrupt the National League table-toppers and work hard for every ball.

The first period was starting to get scrappier in midfield, with chances at a premium for both teams and the referee giving bookings for several players as tempers started to simmer.

City, playing in their fluorescent away colours, held their nerve until the break, despite Nathan Arnold being laid off by Lee Angol, firing wide of Letheren's post. The Minstermen had the final chance of the half, though, with some neat one-touch play finding its way to Amari Morgan-Smith from 20 yards, who fizzed an effort just wide of the post.

The second period started in the same vein as the first, plenty of jostling for possession but not offering much in terms of chances initially.

Jon Parkin found himself in space on the edge of the Lincoln area, improvising a flicked effort that dipped just past the Imps' post.

Gary Mills' side began to gain a foothold on proceeding, offering more attacking threat after the break. The Imps had a golden chance to take the lead, though, after Hamza Bencherif didn't get enough power behind a backpassing header, with Arnold prodding past Letheren and Dan Parslow chasing back to clear.

However, the hosts found the breakthrough on 66 minutes, with a deep corner being headed across goal by Rhead and Raggett on hand to head in off the post to level the tie on aggregate.

City had to dig deep to keep themselves in the fight as the half went on, with the Imps, cheered on by a near sell-out crowd at Sincil Bank, appeared to have all the momentum after they took the lead.

Sean Newton broke down the left for the Minstermen, running 50 yards but a heavy touch allowed a Lincoln man to track back and clear.

Elliott Whitehouse could have clinched the tie for the hosts when he was free in the area, but his effort bobbled just inches wide of the post.

The scoreline took the game to extra time, and the hosts did not appear to let up on their intensity as they went in search of a winner to take them to Wembley.

Adriano Moke looked to be clean through on goal for the Minstermen, but his run was cut short as the assistant referee had flagged the ball out for a throw-in during the build-up.

Cramp was playing its inevitable part in extra time as well, with Morgan-Smith being forced off after his leg appeared to tighten up.

The game-changing moment then came as Terry Hawkridge handled in the area, initial appeals were waved away by the referee but the penalty was awarded after consulting with his assistant.

Scott Fenwick stepped up, goalkeeper Farman had guessed the right way but the ball nestled in the bottom corner in front of the jubilant travelling City support.

The Minstermen held on in the final period of extra to send the away end into hysterics and book a place at Wembley in May.

    Latest Match Reports