Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 17 Apr 17 at 17:00 PM

City Slip To Wrexham Defeat

YORK City failed to move clear of the relegation places after a disappointing 3-1 home defeat to Wrexham on Easter Monday.

Despite taking an early lead through top scorer Jon Parkin, the Minstermen succumbed to goals in either half from Red Dragons’ forward Jordan White and a late strike from substitute Leo Smith for a second successive defeat at Bootham Crescent.

The Wrexham fans travelled in their numbers to help make up the largest crowd of the season in North Yorkshire and the club with little to play for put in a performance which put paid to their mid table standing in the National League.

Results elsewhere ensured that City still remain outside the bottom four on goal difference and safety from the fifth tier of English football is still in their own hands.

City made the perfect start through Parkin who tucked home at the near post after having a couple of efforts blocked in the penalty area. Given another chance, he made no mistake, bundling the ball into the back of the net with just over a minute on the clock.

All four sides of Bootham Crescent were rocking after the early breakthrough and the next 20 minutes were shared evenly on the pitch with Asa Hall trying his luck with a dipping half volley which fared narrowly over the crossbar before former City forward Ntumba Massanka spurned a golden chance to level for the visitors, sending a one-on-one effort wide of Scott Loach’s goal.

Gary Mills’ side had further chances to double their lead, Vadaine Oliver shooting from distance after turning his marker on a sixpence before Alex Whittle’s bursting run forward was not matched in quality by his cross for Parkin who had space in the middle.

Wrexham made the missed chances count on the half hour mark as a number of chances to clear the ball out of the area were not dealt with allowing White to prod home despite the best efforts of Loach.

That leveller took some of the sting and confidence out of City’s play but Parkin nearly brought it back with a thundering effort from outside of the area which flew just wide of the upright before seeing an audacious lob after a flick on from Vadaine Oliver go agonisingly close to hitting the target just before the break.

After the restart, Sean Newton ventured forward to play a dangerous ball across the face of goal but neither Oliver nor Amari Morgan-Smith could get the telling touch to hand City the lead.

Soon after, Simon Heslop spurned a golden opportunity to score his side’s second goal of the afternoon, blazing over after great work from Oliver to hold up the ball in the penalty area from a recycled corner before former Minsterman tried his luck from distance, a sight many York fans are used to seeing from the midfielder, though this time to no avail for his current employers.

The visitors did not have to wait much longer for the lead though as Jordan White was on hand to steer home a cross from the left after the City defence was cut open too easily, much to the jubilation of the away fans behind the goal.

City responded emphatically, going close through Oliver who was a whisker wide with a half volley at the back post before Morgan-Smith sold his defender to move one-on-one with Shwan Jalal but the on-loan Cheltenham Town forward hit a tame effort at the Wrexham ‘keeper.  

With time running out, City were struggling to create further clear cut chances and nearly found themselves two down as only a splendid Scott Loach save denied James Jennings at the near post but in the last minute the points were confirmed to be heading back to North Wales as Leo Smith tucked in at the near post from a throw in to the penalty area.  

    Latest Match Reports